Discussion-Can less technology make you feel more human?

Technology makes me think of medication. Like, it works when great taken in the right doses but if you overdo it then it can lead to negative consequences, even death.

8 Likes

Itā€™s a really interesting analogy!

2 Likes

For those of you using the two-phone model, are you switching your SIM cards back and forth?

2 Likes

I suppose there are several different approaches possible.

1. One SIM that is switched between phones, perhaps to the basic phone for the weekend etc.
  2. One SIM that lives in the basic phone; the smartphone relies on Wi-Fi access.
  3. Two SIMs, one phone number. Some operators here offer that as a service, for a price.
  4. Two SIMs, two numbers. Public number in smartphone, private number in basic phone. You might inform your closest circle about the private number, or you might set up call transfer from the smartphone to the basic phone.
  5. Two SIMs, two numbers. Public number in basic phone, another SIM in smartphone for data access.

I use the last setup; my main phone number is in the basic phone, and I have a slow data connection in the smartphone. (I can still register messaging apps on the smartphone with my main number.)

2 Likes

This one is my choice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, so this is an interesting and chilling discussion. The idea of AI seems to be all about disconnecting oneself from nature, from their natural environment and from their natural way of being. If this works for you - great - go ahead with it. If not, stay away from AIā€¦
Go to a park and hug a tree insteadā€¦ the tree will love you for it and will be a better, consistent, more genuine friend than any AI thingo could ever be BECAUSE ITā€™S REAL!

I wonderā€¦ feeling the energy of a tree is natural and real to me - but not to everyone. AI ā€˜friendsā€™ are not real to me - but maybe they are to some peopleā€¦ I wonder what would motivate a person to have an AI friend?
Is it just loneliness or something more?

1 Like