Deleting a Google account

So, I’m in the process of deleting my Google account.
The information on Googles Account help is lacking answers.
I have posted this:

1.a I would like to know if it’s possible to delete my google account and opt-out from recovery possibilities?

1.b If not, how long is the time period until my account is no longer recoverable?

2.a If i delete my google account, will the unique Google name I used on registration be quarantined to prevent someone else to use it?

2.b For how long?

Awaiting their response.

5 Likes

@John_Andersson That’s quite an undertaking you’ve got there.
Personally, I think they will make it as difficult as possible because it’s in THEIR interest to keep you in that ecosystem.

5 Likes

Yes, you are right.
Removing internet from my life has been very much like cutting down a very large tree from my garden, that’s blocking the sunlight. Starting at the base would perhaps make it hazardous , risking it falling on my roof creating a mess. You have to start from the top, twig by twig. Google is a BIG branch though,.

7 Likes

1.a I would like to know if it’s possible to delete my google account and opt-out from recovery possibilities?

1.b If not, how long is the time period until my account is no longer recoverable?

2.a If i delete my google account, will the unique Google name I used on registration be quarantined to prevent someone else to use it?

2.b For how long?

Answers:

. 1a - no

1b - Google doesn’t document that, but think days to weeks, not months.

2a - Account names are never re-used. So if the account was closed/deleted you would get that it doesn’t exist (“Couldn’t find your Google account”) AND can not be created (“That username is taken”).

2b - Forever.

6 Likes

PROGRESS UPDATE:

I have switched from Google Drive to IceDrive and are currently migrating data. Mostly videos and images that are family related. Going to delete a lot of other stuff in there that I don´t need anymre. Feels a bit like cleaning out your basement :grin:
Aldso going through 15 years of mail conversations and membership confirmations. Need to change contact information on those Im still interested in and cancel those I can live without.
Its going to take awhile.

Edit: As I browse through the historical “records” of my life online, I`m reflecting on how its absolutely incredible that we entrust our WHOLE lives in the hands of a company wich has “gathering of personal data and re-using it for commercial purposes” as a business model.

5 Likes

I recently went in to clean out an old email account, which I had for over 20 years and it was like a taking a trip back in time.

4 Likes

I’m curious, are you going to order any physical copies of the images that you’re migrating?

Every once in a while I need to free up some cloud space. And I must say - looking through all the pictures (clustered in groups of 4-5 identical shots just in case 1 of them will be blurry) is actually such a pleasant experience.

It’s the XXI century version of flipping through the pages of a family photo album when bored at my grandfolks’ place as a kid. But not everyone does that and it’s not really that intentional.

4 Likes

Probably. I used to be a photographer by trade ( 95 - 03 ) and have a soft spot for physical photos… BUT it’s much more convenient to have everything stored online as you pointed out.

5 Likes

I deleted all my Google Accounts and Services back in 2018. I migrated everything I used my Google Accounts for to other Services and new E-Mails. I’ve been very careful on where I use my E-Mail and so on.

While it sounds like a lot of work, it is extremely rewarding because you don’t receive any Spam Mails, annoying Mailing lists and a whole other shenanigans.

Facebook was the worst offender. They kept my Data for 2 years after deletion in case I wanted to reactivate it. I deleted Facebook in 2014 however.

The Only Service that I would love to delete but can’t due to social reasons is Whatsapp. Everyone in Switzerland, literally everyone uses Whatsapp. No SMS, MMS, Facebook Messenger, iMessage or something else. It’s just one giant Whatsapp monopoly.

But Since I got rid of my iPhone and switched to my Pure, I only use Whatsapp on the Computer. If something is important, people need to call me, not write a Whatsapp.

4 Likes

I agree about the whatsApp issue.
I found a workaround… sort of.
If you migrate to WhatsApp Business, you can set up a “away message”. Meaning that everyone that contact you personally will recieve a automatic reply message. In my case Ive set it up so it replies with : “Sorry, Im not available on WA atm… please send me a sms”. It doesnt work with your WA groups though.
Only thing is that you need to be online with your registered WA device. I have it on a old iphone connected to wifi but without a simcard.

5 Likes

So, it has been a ton of work, but in a few weeks I will say goodbye to Google… permanently. I have tried different types of replacements for Google services, and despite that you miss out on the integration part… they all work fine!
Google drive - > IceDrive
Gmail → posteo
Google maps → Physical maps + OsmAnd
Google docs → Libre office on a Linux laptop

I use OsmAnd on a tablet with LineageOS, but will get rid of it and probably get a Car Gps instead.
The only thing I haven’t found a solution for, is the mobile e-ID app that is required to access your digital mailbox where all mail from the authorities end up. It only works with android, iOS and Huaweis harmonyOS. There is an old e-ID solution that works with a windows computer, but it’s not compatible with newer services. No Linux alternative planned.
Currently I have a iphone 7 for that use only. My next mission is to get rid of that too! :grinning:

6 Likes

Awesome work @John_Andersson ! Sounds like a huge undertaking. Do you have any tips on how to do this and keep at it? And not get distracted from the task after a speed bump or two?

5 Likes

Yes and no. I guess a lot depends on your own motivations why you want to make changes. In the beginning it was the surveillance and privacy issues that bothered me. But as things moved forward, the main reason became the involuntary dependency of digital devices for making even small tasks.
Does it make a difference?
Well, if privacy is the main concern, all you do is changing from one digital tool to another; it’s only how you perceive your digital security that potentially changes, not much else.

If you aim to truly minimize your digital presence, you are in for a BIG change though. Many things in life and how you go about solving whatever task that needs to be done will change. I have an ongoing competition against myself where I try to stay off internet for as long as I can. Not always practical, I admit that; but its doable.
I removed the wifi card from my laptop and can only connect through a cable at a specific place in my house; its chosen with the intent that it shouldnt encourage long online sessions.

Sometimes I see pictures of peoples carry-around-stuff while aiming for digital minimalism; in some cases they have 5-6 gadgets to fullfill the “needs” when switching from a smartphone. A camera, a ebookreader, a mp3 player, a planner & pen, a map, a sketchbook and a dumbphone.
That is not what I want. I try to focus on one thing at the time, no matter what Im doing.
Not easy in the beginning, but very rewarding!

so… what can I say about Google then? Well, honestly I dont think much about it anymore… I spend much less time online so it has become a non-issue I guess. I wiped my inbox and google history and everything else they allow me to delete.

What I can say though, is that while some unvoluntary digital habits has disappered, it doesnt mean that you find “peace of mind” automatically. Spending less time reading/watching the news and instead engaging in meaningful, positive activities has helped me. After all, the digital world can be a “reality-blocker”, but when you dont have that distraction anymore you also get more sensitive to negative input from the world around you. Might not be the case for everyone, but its a thing to be aware of.

5 Likes

^ Brilliant name, John!

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience and advice. I have found the same thing - without the digital distraction you become more sensitive to the world and inputs around you. I have also found that negative inputs seem to only come from other humans and what they create in the world… :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
But also humans are capable of creating such positive inputs and enhancing life with kindness and compassion and such beauty and without the distractions, we get to sense these things also :smiley:

2 Likes

This also goes the other way around, that sometimes people simply cannot deal with the world around them WITHOUT digital distraction. They NEED that phone to block out the world, sort of as a way of escapism.

2 Likes