Data & Privacy in the Digital Age

Awhile ago, I stared a thread with the question:
Is true privacy actually dead or dying?

There, we discussed and shared information about the status of privacy in our lives and how companies aggregate and monetize our data.
Over the weekend I was doing some research on Data Security & Privacy for a blog & I came upon this new segment on CNN:

The video is about how modern computer-equipped vehicles are collecting data on drivers’ behaviors without their explicit consent & then passing it on to the drivers’ INSURANCE COMPANY. This data includes driving habits, locations, speeds, hard braking, and more.
Several automakers like GM, Honda, Kia, and Hyundai have been offering features in their connected cars, like OnStar, which supposedly make driving the car a more enjoyable experience. It’s also collecting info, which then is shared with data brokers and insurance companies, impacting insurance premiums.

This video made me think that TRUE privacy is really over. Are we educated enough about the privacy implications of connected vehicles and other smart devices?

Do you guys think that the issue of consent differs in the context of data collection by connected vehicles as compared to other forms of digital data collection, like apps? For example Google Maps collecting data from users.

2 Likes

I try to keep away from electric vehicles as long as possible.
Navigation I do via an old-fashioned device ( TomTom )
I recently bought the Punkt MP02…also a very private device.

For the rest… with the other smart devices in your house and around you, there indeed is little privacy left.

3 Likes