Cat s22 Flip phone

So my journey with just a dumbphone is ending at 9 months smartphone free. Something I am proud of. After a recent incident with my son having to be hospitalized I realized I need a smartphone like phone with apps when needed. Actually this incident made me realize how LUCKY i was NOT to be using my Mudita because my wife would have had issues reaching me.
Yesterday I bought the Cat s22 Flip phone., and it gets here later this afternoon. You can google it if you want won’t go into all the details here but basically its a rugged flip phone that runs android go, so you get all the apps you need in a flip phone factor with a tiny screen so you are not enticed to use it because its big phone with a tiny screen so I see it just being out of sight out of mind. I am going to uninstall chrome, you tube, and any other distracting apps. Good thing is I don’t have any social media accounts so I don’t put any of that on my phone. The apps I want are hiking trail apps, waze (directions) weather, and uber in case of emergencies. There is also a habit loop app I really liked in my smartphone days that helped me track habits.
I think when the new Mudita comes out I will have a look for sure and I can see myself introducing a dumbphone back into my life along with this ‘smarter’ Cat s22 flip/

1 Like

@cardio79 This is a good looking phone. One thing I HATE about smartphones is how fragile they are…and SO FREAKING expensive to fix/replace

Definitely let us know how you like using it! I’m curious how it preforms & does it meet your needs.

2 Likes

Still waiting for it to get here! Never seen on in person but yes I do love the look of it and as I said it will not have google chrome or you tube installed on it and even if it did it would be very hard to watch or want to watch videos on this tank lol. I will only enable google chrome if I need to look something up in a pinch. Should be here in 2 hours I will put up a pic of it when it gets here

1 Like

It cost me $96 american thats it, beauty of a deal

1 Like

Unfortunately, it is not available in Europe. It was my first choice when I was looking for a ‘middle-term’ phone. Since I don’t like the bloatware from the KAIOS phones, which were the ones of the kind that allowed me to tether via wifi, I’ll wait for the news about Mudita’s next phone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. I can say after using this phone for a few hours its just amazing. This is the PERFECT phone for the digital minimalist and my experience using all my previous dumbphones over the past 2 years really solved all my bad smartphone habits. The moment I got this phone I disabled the browser, you tube etc. I only have intentional apps on it and its a breath of fresh air to use. I am confident knowing if I need to call and uber I can, directions I got them, and if I ever need to use a browser I can temporarily enable chrome in a pinch and get any information I need. This phone is gorgeous, amazing premium feel to it all for $96 bux american!
I honestly don;'t know if I will ever get a dumb phone again because whats the point? Why would I throw down so much for a premium dumbphone when I already have a ‘smart dumbphone’ in the Cat s222 Flip

2 Likes

Overlooked but not important is that the Cat S22 flip also has an acceptable SAR rate compared to other phones. His SAR rate is 0.607 W/kg (Head SAR)

1 Like

@cardio79 You’ve had it for about a week, right? What’s your initial thoughts? How does it feel in your pocket? etc…How does it feel to use it?

Absolutely love it. It is not big as people make it out to be. It is cumbersome to use but thats what I like about it. I love that I can listen to podcasts again. I put the freedom blocking app on it as well. So basically every hour I check text messages than block myself from the text app for an hour. If I am going to have movie night with my kids usually on a Friday, I put the phone away and put the freedom app on for 12-13 hours till the next day. I really have found the right balance with this phone.
Also I love that it is water proof, I can play music in the shower its awesome lol

1 Like

OMG! That’s awesome. You can listen to podcasts in the shower. I checked & saw that it had a IP68 rating & MIL-SPEC 810H military standards. This means that a device with an IP68 rating is dust-tight and can be submerged in water beyond 1 meter. I saw on the manufacturer website that their phones are waterproof up to 5m for 60 minutes.
That’s IMPRESSIVE.

Yeah its an AMAZING PHONE. I can’t wait to get a call in the shower and answer and have someone ask are you in the shower!!!??? lol

1 Like

LOL :slight_smile: That’s funny

1 Like