CalmApps maybe becoming PaperApps

PaperTunes will replace CalmMusic in the sense that I won’t be actively developing CalmMusic anymore. I didn’t have the time to keep up with it. Being a fork from ArchiveTune, PaperTunes should be easier to keep updated because they do the heavy lifting for us. Overall though it is a very similar app conceptually.

PaperMaps is a bit different because it punts on a couple of concepts. It, admittedly, uses Google Places behind the scenes because the accuracy is just way better than HERE mapping for the US and I’d wager Europe as well on a whole. It still uses Mapbox for the turn-by-turn directions but gets the POI from Google for accuracy. It also still sends as limited data as possible for privacy. I’ve also switched the UI to PaperUI and changed how the landing screen works because Google Places is much better at categories. I think most users will like this new category breakdown.

As for CalmDirectory itself, I may or may not continue developing that if the interest remains.

2 Likes

All sounds good although I wish Google could be avoided.

4 Likes

Honestly, as bad as Google is, their location/business information is unrivalled.

With every alternative maps app I’ve tried on this phone, they’ve all struggled to find places, or the location information is out of date.

3 Likes

I totally get it. I wish the same. I’ll stay on top of developments from other providers but at them moment, I don’t see that changing because they are so far ahead.

3 Likes

If only there was a way to use Google without using Google, kind of a MicroG Lite or something lol

1 Like

Keep in mind that the implementation for PaperMaps will not require you to login to Google. It simply sends your location and the arguments (search string, search radius, category, etc..). There’s nothing that directly ties your request to a profile. The most they could do is infer a few things from the request like IP. There’s still obviously a digital footprint there and is feeding into their overall network but the footprint is as minimal as it can be.

3 Likes

But the IP is the worst of all :confused:

2 Likes

The standard practice here would be to send the request to a server that I control and then send that request to google from my server but that’s overhead that cost money and now I have the list of IPs, devices, etc… I would like to think that I’m trustworthy with that data and that people would trust me to have it but just a nuance on who has the data. The current implementation is the cheapest, most direct way. Using a VPN would be the simplest solve.

3 Likes

Small PaperTunes update for some UI bugs: Release Beta 2 · davidraywilson/PaperTunes · GitHub

2 Likes

Hey @davidray! Very grateful for your contributions to this community. I have been using your Maps Beta 3 for a while now and it’s my favorite navigator for the MK.

I had been keeping an eye on CalmMusic because I use Apple Music as my streaming service and you had mentioned eventually being able to use it through your app. Is this a possibility for PaperTunes now or in the future?

1 Like

Then use a VPN :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Thanks for all your hard work on this @davidray, looking forward to PaperCal!

1 Like

I think I will have PaperCal ready this weekend. Working on some UI tweaks but the functionality is there.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your work on these!!

Count me toward “remaining interest”! This has been my favorite sideloaded app. so simple yet so useful.

2 Likes

My hope is that you guys like PaperMaps well enough haha but I’ll keep your comment in mind, thanks!

1 Like

I’m excited for PaperCal and PaperMaps. I love your Calm apps!

1 Like

I really have hope of someday supporting Apple Music but PaperTunes is tightly integrated with YouTube Music because it’s forked from ArchiveTune. If I ever get more invested in app development or a 3rd party Android Apple Music player comes online, I’ll look more seriously into it. Sorry for the lame news.

3 Likes

Two more releases for ya’ll!

PaperMaps:


PaperCal:

The Calendar in particular is much more of a work in progress so please leave any BUG feedback first. We’ll look more into features as the app matures. It is a fork from FossifyCalendar so a lot of the stuff under the hood is fully built out but the UI has been completely rewritten to work better for eink. I would not rely on this as your only calendar until you verify that it works for you consistently.

Thanks!

1 Like

PaperScores:

Yay! Looking forward to spending some time with these. A couple of questions:

  1. Does PaperMaps consider real-time traffic data in the route it suggests?
  2. Is there a way to synce apple calendars to PaperCal or is it Android-only?
1 Like