Call Audio Quality on Mudita Pure

So after a week of use I must say that as a phone it surprised me “negatively”
I have had other telephones previously with the possibility of only phone call and sms, but unlike the mudita even the audio in reception and transmission was better.
The audio of the Pure sounds silent metallic and words cannot be recognized at times. Those who talk to me often ask me to repeat why they don’t hear.
What was used in croufonding, in my opinion, is completely missing and cannot be defined as a Premium product.
I am almost inclined to return the product, because I think that via software you cannot improve the Audio part you have levels of a normal Phone.
Hope someone from support can help us

3 Likes

You are not wrong. The improvement via software will not be so outstanding that it will improve the call quality to “normal” levels. However, remember this is a sacrifice the Mudita Pure makes in order to reduce SAR and EMF. I personally don’t care about SAR and EMF, but some in the forum bought this phone for those specific values.

2 Likes

@dcalliari What network are you on? The new software update was supposed to improve the stability of calls & I’m wondering if this is more of a network issue or something else? Did audio get worse for you as the week went on or did it stay pretty much the same.
PS: I am assuming you did the software update?

Here’s a little update about the audio levels on Mudita Pure:
Our team has been in contact with Harman Kardon about what can be done to improve the volume of the speaker. We are sending some phones to them so they can take a look where improvements can be made.

2 Likes

Yeah I am one of those people, low SAR is the most important criteria to me.

But clearly trade offs always have to be made to satisfy everyone.

2 Likes

Form my is important the low SAR.
but as a compromise to always have during the phone call, whoever tells you, you can repeat, I feel bad, for a phone that only has to do this job it seems to me unsuccessful.

2 Likes

I have the Update 1.20 , i bekame the phone and install first the Update. Problem are with 1.20 Software Version.
I have in Swiss the UPC service Provider (Sunrise)

1 Like

@dcalliari I traveled all over Switzerland with my Mudita Pure last year. I purchased a pre-paid sim card from Lebara in Zurich & used it while traveling to Lucerne, Brienz, Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen & then on to Locarno & Lugano. It worked fine in all those places. There was some issues while driving through some of the mountain passes, but otherwise that provider work well for me. I believe they are on the Orange network.

1 Like

So far for me, people can hear me very clearly. In some ways the call quality feels worse than my smartphone, but still I’ve been told my voice comes through loud and clear.

So the Pure definitely seems capable of clear communication, but it probably fluctuates with the signal and the provider.

1 Like

And the region. The reality is that there are many things to test and the results are very mixed right now.

3 Likes

Hello, @urszula! Do you have any news from Harman Kardon to share about this? Thanks!

1 Like

To give some additional feedback on audio quality: I’m in Poland, Warsaw, Orange as a main network. In several places where I’d get medium levels LTE on Samsung phone, Mudita only connects to 2G (I have seen it once or twice trying 3G @ 1 bar but reverting to 2G soon). My comment is for OS version 1.2.0.

As for audio quality my observations are as follows:

• for phone internal speaker (not loudspeaker mode) the maximum volume level is too low for me
  • the other partly is barely audible and any environmental noise on my side makes it impossible to understand what they are talking about. This is partly due to inability to set volume to higher levels, but I think it is also about how much of frequency spectrum is used to reproduce audio signal; having clearer sound would allow to understand the other party better without having to increase the volume
  • i have tried to have a call using a headset connected to the jack interface on Pure, but, surprisingly it made things worse: (1) the audio from other party still wasn’t very clear, I had to max the volume out and enable noise cancellation in headphones to understand it, (2) the other party reported hearing audio artifacts and requested me to repeat myself several times during the call.
1 Like