Blog: Screen Time & Sleep: How Digital Devices Affect Sleep

Join the conversation & let us know your thoughts.

6 Likes

Sleeping well is our natural body repairer. We noticed that we do not “work well” during the day if we don’t have a good night’s sleep. I use Bluelight blocking glasses at home when I finish my work in the afternoon. As I have a habit of falling asleep while watching a movie, it is a way to minimize the impact on sleep. And it has worked so far. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

My reason NOT to use a smartphone as your daily alarm clock

• If your smartphone is waking you every morning, then you are reinforcing your mindless dependence on it by picking it up as soon as you awake so as to disable its alarm.

I saw a 22-year-old guest in my home go from the guest bedroom to the bathroom with her iPhone unnecessarily in her hand after she woke to the alarm on her iPhone in that bedroom.

• She was not looking at the iPhone screen and was not on a telephone call when walking from the guest bedroom to the bathroom.
  • As best as I could determine, she did not use her iPhone while in the bathroom. (I heard no voices, no videos, and no tapping sounds, and she left the bathroom relatively promptly.)
  • But, again she had her iPhone in her hand when she returned from the bathroom to the guest bedroom.

This is a stark example of mindless dependence on a smartphone that is enabled by using it as a daily alarm clock.

4 Likes

I find it really surprising how people don’t even realize how bad screen time is fore their sleep. Once you just stop scrolling before bed, you sleep better.

2 Likes

Excellent episode:

3 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd Thanks for sharing. I recently watched a Polish doctor discuss something similar, but she really focused on the MENTAL health aspect of it & how the more kids are glued to the screens, the less sleep they get, the more negatively their mental health is affected. And it’s a vicious cycle.

3 Likes

I wonder if she did this without thought or if perhaps the phone assists her to feel safe in the world? I could see that some would feel much safer with a dependance device nearby - kind of like a security blanket…

1 Like