Blog: First Glimpse of Mudita Kompakt

I hope they’ll at least keep the desktop app.

5 Likes

Yes, desktop app is great. With some more functionality, could be like old Nokias software suites

6 Likes

First images of the Kompakt phone have been around much longer than I initially thought! :smile:
(Search for 2023 Polish Forbes article about Mudita Pure/Kompakt, unfortunately I cannot link the article here but google-translation follows below.)

Also the upcoming phone seems to be

1. Unsurprisingly, Android based. (According the Wi-Fi database, certification dated for 23.01.2023 /wi-fi.org, and search for Mudita)

2. Not going to replace the upcoming Mudita Pure 2.

3. Like a real winner. —And for example to have a some sort of camera included (according to spiderweb.pl 2024 and Forbes article):

Comparisons {between the Minimal and} to Michał Kiciński’s project are obvious. The {Mudita} founder and originator himself admitted in an interview with Forbes that in some respects the {Original Pure} phone did not work. - Better range, high quality of sound from the loudspeaker, or a more advanced calendar - these are the things that could not be delivered in the final product - he beat his chest. The phone sold approximately 3,000. copies. The model is no longer available for purchase, but the company is planning further versions of equipment for minimalists. In addition to Pure 2, there will also be a Mudita Kompakt the size of a small e-book reader. It will connect to the Internet, there will even be a camera and greater support for applications, but not the most addictive ones, such as Facebook or Twitter.

5 Likes

What is the time frame we are looking at for new information on the compact? I’m genuinely looking forward to this and seeing what you all have been up to.

6 Likes

Please let this be available in the Philippines.

5 Likes

If there is no current option to buy from Mudita store to Philippines, try asking in this thread
https://forum.mudita.com/t/shipping-to-additional-countries/
Worked for me.

4 Likes

While this is at this point pure speculation, e-ink Android device is category on its own merits, competing with something like Hisense A9 and similar models.
Its good for eyes, had some nice experience with now defunct Russian Yota Phone 2 that had back e-ink screen. Also very savy for battery.
On my own, I am more interested in Pure 2, but that does not mean Kompakt can be a wider reaching functional product, that can make Mudita stronger and give funds for Pure 2 and similar. We ll see how much of nice philosophy can be applied to DeGoogled Android :smiley:
Xiaomi, with its MUI UI did not just add iOS like eyecandies, but some nice and useful features like Auto shut down and wake up, extreme power saver.
Some SecurityOS and similar modified Android to be more private.
If done right, that can also be correct step that can bring many, way more customers then nice healthy dumb phones with keyboard, I vote for :smiley:

5 Likes

We will start sharing more soon, before the end of March. :slight_smile: Will it be tomorrow, a month from now or on March 31st… that’s a secret I’ll never tell. :zipper_mouth_face: At least for now.

5 Likes

I am very excited about this phone. Right now I use the Punkt and have been for 3 months and it has been great. Secondary device is the Cat S22 Flip but the Kompakt looks so nice even for the small peak we got that I know I will most likely get this but PLEASE make sure this will work in Canada I am begging you lol

4 Likes

@Marcin_Hakemer-Ferna We can’t give more info away just yet :wink: but stayed tuned for more sneak peeks :slight_smile:

5 Likes

In contrast with what Michał Kiciński told Forbes Poland about how he uses the Mudita Pure, I would love to know whether he plans to use the Mudita Kompakt as his daily driver.

5 Likes

Here is a image for anyone looking for the Forber 2023 article

4 Likes

I am curious about measurements and of Play Store will be available. Can you say anything on that matters?

6 Likes

Hello, welcome to our community! It’s great that you’ve joined us, make yourself at home :slight_smile: At the moment, we haven’t revealed all the details yet, but we encourage you to stay tuned for updates – they will be available soon, both here on the forum and on our website. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you. I am very interested in a European - owned e-ink smartphone brand.

4 Likes

Three Approaches to Android

Approach #1

If Mudita goes with Google Android, then all the Google apps will be on the Kompakt, and you will have to sign in with your Google ID (e.g., a Gmail account) to use Google Play store.

Approach #2

If Mudita goes with a popular Google-apps-free-based Android such as LineageOS or CalyxOS, then no Google apps will be on the Kompakt, and you will be able to use an alternative to Google Play store to download additional apps.

Approach #3

If Mudita creates its own version of AOSP, then you may or may not have the option to install additional apps. Sunbeam Wireless provides an example of this approach. Sunbeam used AOSP to create what it calls BasicOS, which has some nice apps, such as Navigation and Weather, but lacks the ability to install additional apps.

Advantage of Approach #2 or #3 over Approach #1

Google does not invade your privacy.

7 Likes

#2 and 3# Phone will be useless to me, as I will not be able to use my banking or navigation apps.

5 Likes

My own personal belief is that its best to leave options to end users e.g. shipping with some own selection of apps while leaving Google Play to be enabled in some space for classic Android experience and more apps.
In fact, Hisense e=ink phones (which are current major competition) has some nice bundled apps and adopted Android, but does not have Google Play enabled. Surely, it can be side-loaded, but in a way, leaving Play Store enabled as option would be an advantage.

4 Likes

That’s what I had in mid, more or less. There are some apps I use nearly all the time, like banking, transit, bike rent, etc. And all those are available via Play Store. If I could use them on compact, I would be all fine and dandy.

5 Likes

For my own use-case, I’d choose #3 all day long. There’s an abundance of the former two options we can choose from, my idea is to be simple, minimal and calm, this is the reason I love Mudita, from the Harmony to the Pure and (hopefully) now to the Kompakt.

10 Likes