Blog: First Glimpse of Mudita Kompakt

I am curious about measurements and of Play Store will be available. Can you say anything on that matters?

6 Likes

Hello, welcome to our community! Itā€™s great that youā€™ve joined us, make yourself at home :slight_smile: At the moment, we havenā€™t revealed all the details yet, but we encourage you to stay tuned for updates ā€“ they will be available soon, both here on the forum and on our website. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you. I am very interested in a European - owned e-ink smartphone brand.

4 Likes

Three Approaches to Android

Approach #1

If Mudita goes with Google Android, then all the Google apps will be on the Kompakt, and you will have to sign in with your Google ID (e.g., a Gmail account) to use Google Play store.

Approach #2

If Mudita goes with a popular Google-apps-free-based Android such as LineageOS or CalyxOS, then no Google apps will be on the Kompakt, and you will be able to use an alternative to Google Play store to download additional apps.

Approach #3

If Mudita creates its own version of AOSP, then you may or may not have the option to install additional apps. Sunbeam Wireless provides an example of this approach. Sunbeam used AOSP to create what it calls BasicOS, which has some nice apps, such as Navigation and Weather, but lacks the ability to install additional apps.

Advantage of Approach #2 or #3 over Approach #1

Google does not invade your privacy.

8 Likes

#2 and 3# Phone will be useless to me, as I will not be able to use my banking or navigation apps.

5 Likes

My own personal belief is that its best to leave options to end users e.g. shipping with some own selection of apps while leaving Google Play to be enabled in some space for classic Android experience and more apps.
In fact, Hisense e=ink phones (which are current major competition) has some nice bundled apps and adopted Android, but does not have Google Play enabled. Surely, it can be side-loaded, but in a way, leaving Play Store enabled as option would be an advantage.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s what I had in mid, more or less. There are some apps I use nearly all the time, like banking, transit, bike rent, etc. And all those are available via Play Store. If I could use them on compact, I would be all fine and dandy.

5 Likes

For my own use-case, Iā€™d choose #3 all day long. Thereā€™s an abundance of the former two options we can choose from, my idea is to be simple, minimal and calm, this is the reason I love Mudita, from the Harmony to the Pure and (hopefully) now to the Kompakt.

10 Likes

@mnrkr74 ā€œsimple, minimal and calmā€ - three perfect words describing Mudita Kompakt. It could be a tagline in my opinion <3

7 Likes

I hope you can use it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Some Android customizations I love:

• From old days of Nokia and Vertu: sound and background customizations and other little tweaks of simplest interfrace and most loved, Nokia Series 30 (now in a way revived in modern Chines Nokia driven simplest dumphones, but not always to the best). Some large icon style and simplicity can still be diven as inspiration
  • From Balmuda phone (Japan): customized alarms and ringtones, improved swipe functionality on main screen (defined 2 main screen swipes to fast open apps), custom alarm/clock, notepad, dial, messages and e-mail apps
    Hi-Sense A9 phones: UI that loves and respect e-ink. Fast black and white modes, improved colour e-ink response, nice and clear app style, bright IPS screen *doubt that can be copied, that to me looks livlier then AMOLED

Yota Phone 2: e-ink only screen widgets, mirror e-ink mode (yes, 2 screen phone), ability of e-ink to freeze last content even on battery drain, small e-ink anims like smiley on taking pics since camera was on that side and use e-ink backscreen as camera preview, use of e-ink mode as best battery saver

Xiami HyperOS/MUI UI 14

• Some of iOS style extended Android fast icon options, Dark and Contrast themes (no I dont like all Xiaomi apps :smiley: improved notepad, alarm
  • Wake on Alarm: Phone CAN turn on completely on set alarm, even its off
  • Scheduled power on/off: Saves battery several hours a day, plus saves electronics. Downside is you are offline, but great complementary to some regular sleeping scheme can be done
    to nurture sleep time and improve longelivity
    Scheduled on/off stays active even after wake on alarm, making it even better.
  • ULTRA Power Saving mode that coupled with 4-6 000 MaH battery can make use of up to 6 selected and 4 default Android apps, while extending phone life to 3 to 7 days depending on use, great in Android ecosys. And that is with no e-ink use!
5 Likes

If we look at the new punkt device we see they use their own striped down version of the OS and open a sandbox, in which people can open the play store and install google apps.

4 Likes

It looks like we have the date of the unveiling. On linkedin Mudita posted about attending MWC2024 at 26-29 feb

3 Likes

One week to go! Looking forward to see European e-ink phone (after Yota Phone fail). Might consider it as 2026 smartphone replacement, but would love to see Mudita Phone 2 this year and bugs ironed in 2025 :smiley: At least wrist watch is bug free. And I hope harmony software gets ironed up, so I can join pioneer finally :smiley: (last year I decided not to buy ebay sold Pure in its state of that time, but now I am sorry)

3 Likes

I totally agree with you. Probably the best thing would be to have the option to choose the Mudita Kompakt with the ability to install all the apps from the PlayStore or the Mudita Kompakt with a ā€œmore minimal versionā€ of the software. In this way it would certainly be possible to satisfy a wider clientele with products that have few (perhaps no) rivals on the market at the moment. Hope to see some updates during the Mobile World Congress 2024.

4 Likes

Fully agreeed, would be best if this would be one phone, play store option in some settings making it appear and asking for Gmail login, if selected. If off, Google is signed off, Playstore apps invisible.

If that is feasable. If not, dont know, two flashable ā€œROMsā€ user choose from and become perma choice? Mudita flashes it and sends per choice (Kompakt Pure and Complact Play Store)

4 Likes

Hello, weā€™re delighted to have you here. I assume itā€™s because of Kompat, right? Feel free to drop by as often as you like, and very soon, weā€™ll be sharing more information about our new phone :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Yay! Woo-hoo!

5 Likes

One of things I loved and miss about the old Blackberry was the software that you could count on and the proprietary apps built-in, everything you needed at the time and no need for an app store as such. Iā€™m hoping Muditaā€™s new OS has it covered.

6 Likes

Agree totaly with Blackberry phones.

One must have for me is Signal App, hoping so the kompakt will be able toā€¦

6 Likes