Blog: Digital privacy: Data collection in Retail Settings

Join the conversation & let us know your thoughts.

1 Like

This topic has started to interest me in recent weeks and this blog post discusses the intricate world of data collection in retail settings, focusing on how retailers gather consumer information and the implications for personal privacy.

My questions to the Mudita Community:

1. How do you feel about the trade-off between personalized shopping experiences and your digital privacy?
  2. What measures do you take to protect your personal information when shopping online or in-store?
  3. Do you think current data privacy laws are sufficient to protect consumers, or is there a need for more stringent regulations?
1 Like

I recently had an experience with my main bank. Basically their online ‘protecting you’ 2FA prevents me from using funds transfer to unsaved recipients, and new recipients cannot be saved - this is because I use Pure to tether laptop to internet and the online banking requires an SMS received code to be entered for the transactions to complete. I must turn off tethering on Pure to receive SMS, then reconnect to internet and enter code before bank transaction times out.
After speaking with them I understood that their system does not cater for me. There is no suitable solution offered from them. Furthermore I did not opt in to receiving SMS codes, it was simply implemented to my account.

When I called them on the phone, after a 20min wait it took a slew of questions and about 10 minutes for the service person to authenticate I am the account holder, because the over the phone authentication code I had was different to what they had.

To me this is technology failing. While it may prevent unauthorised transactions it also prevents my own transactions. Have I become irrelevant to the bank unless I ‘go with the masses’ and do the smart phone thing? Perhaps its time to store cash under the mattress again - if the banks will allow cash to be withdrawn but that’s another issue…

If my phone call was being listened to or ‘recorded for training purposes’, the personal responses (data) I was giving to the person on the phone would be readily accessible by… whoever or whatever listens (AI?) Who owns data relating to me when it’s in the ‘public area’, and how is a ‘public area’ defined? And how do you possibly regulate and control that?

Is it possible that AI is listening/recording/using/sharing this information without the knowledge of the AI creators/programmers?

SIDE NOTE: It would be great if the Pure could receive SMS while tethered to a computer to maintain the internet connection and allow the receipt and reading of SMS.

2 Likes