AI Music is here & **it's HORRIBLE**

Her name is Anna Indiana (A.I) - not very unique or creative , if you ask me.
She released her first song, titled “Betrayed by this Town,” on November 22, 2023

Let me know how many seconds of this you can get through.

I stopped at 2:28. Various features creeped me out!

• The Introduction: "Hello, world!¨ has been software developers’ go-to text when first testing something (e.g., in a modal dialog) for decades.
  • The Lyrics: “Betrayed by this town, let’s tear it all down” sounds like something that the CCP would create to get young people to destroy western civilization.
  • The Jaw Line: Anna has a jaw line that seems to be popular for AI characters these days.
  • The Stationary Body: Anna moves only her head.
  • No Breathing from the Chest: Anna sings only from her throat.
2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I’m with you on all the points you made.
I’m completely creeped out & one thing I notice that there is no SOUL to this music.

I mean Milli Vanilli had more soul and authenticity than AI music, because REAL humans were behind their lip-syncing, so it had more human touch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That song is truly horrible.

Most songs, particularly the very popular ones, usually have some sort of grounding in the human experience, or the human condition. Look at how many popular songs have been written about love, or about loss or pain, or about joy.

As an AI program is unable to experience life as a human, I doubt that it would ever be able to create any songs that most people would like.

1 Like

I guess this is what happens when you try to extract logic from subjective opinions or emotional reactions. How do you define “soul” in a way that a machine can use it and make something “soulful” out of it?
Very difficult, perhaps almost impossible.
But in a way we have already moved in this direction a long time ago with the use of autotune.

1 Like

Somehow, I don’t find the use of autotune so obnoxious :slight_smile: I mean, yeah, it’s not natural, but there is a human behind that voice.

I’m not going to listen to it because you can’t unhear things and it’s not something I’d like to experience.

This is a genuine question because I don’t understand it - What is the fascination with AI?

1 Like

@galtions I think a lot of it is the novelty aspect of it. Although AI has been around for awhile, it has mainly been behind the scenes & not really available to the general public to play around with. Generative AI, like ChatGPT, Bard, Claude 2.0, all all the image generating software, have brought it up for everyone to play with.
I’m not sure if you have noticed, but it’s been a year after the launch of ChatGPT & the wow factor is pretty much gone. The only thing I hear is that it’s getting progressively worse.

Has anyone tried this out?