I have am using Organic Maps for navigation and have enabled TTS with RHVoice. This is important for me for safety so I can keep my eyes on the road while driving. However, I notice that the TTS is very quiet compared to the music volume, and it seems that they’re controlled by the same “media” setting in the volume controls. I can’t really hear the directions unless the music is really loud. The version of RHVoice installed from Aurora Store has a setting for volume to turn it up, but the one installed from F-Droid does not. For whatever reason, I can’t get any TTS apps installed from Aurora Store to work, only F-Droid.
Has anyone found a workaround for this issue, perhaps a different TTS engine? I listen to music/podcasts in my car frequently and I like to be able to listen and also have navigation going if possible. It’s not a dealbreaker but would be nice to have since my car has no smart technology for navigation.
1 Like
I’m currently using the Mudita Kompakt and I really enjoy the minimalist and privacy-focused approach of the OS. However, I noticed that the system does not seem to support Text-to-Speech (TTS) functionality.
I tried installing an external TTS engine (like RHVoice), and even the “Here WeGo” navigation app detects TTS as available. However, when I attempt to select a TTS engine via the system settings (e.g. when prompted by the app), the Settings app crashes immediately.
It seems that the OS might be missing the TTS framework entirely. I would love to use voice navigation and accessibility features on this phone, and TTS is a key part of that.
Is there any plan to support TTS in future updates? Even just basic integration would make a big difference.
1 Like
I’ve asked our team about this.
Hey Checking in on this, is there a work around for text to speech for navigation apps? I’m on Co Maps myself
1 Like
I can’t comment about other navigation maps, but the Mudita Kompakt Native Maps app does have turn-by-turn audio directions. Is that what you’re asking about?
1 Like
I appreciate your reply Urszula your are incredibly helpful as always! The kompact doesn’t seem to have “speech synthesis” necessary for other nav apps. I assume this is similiar to the TTS. I’d probably use the regular nav if it had better address lookup. Traffic and construction are not capable due to degoogle, but good search and speech navigation are essential to the “offline” maps experience.
1 Like
Thanks for clarifying! I understand now: you’re asking about text-to-speech support that third-party navigation apps can use, rather than the audio directions in our native Maps app. Sorry, I initially focused on the navigation outcome and missed that distinction.
I’ll check with our team whether there’s a workaround for using an external TTS engine on Mudita Kompakt. I also appreciate your feedback about address search and understand why both features matter for your offline navigation experience.