Blog: Mudita Kompakt & Embracing Mindfulness in the Digital Age

Join the conversation & let us know your thoughts.

1 Like

Light phone 3 released video of their prototype and this convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt I won’t be cancelling my pre-order. They just have a better track record of delivering a working product. As much as I like e-ink the screen they are using works and feels by the video just like a e-ink screen. Just a sleek looking phone.

4 Likes

I will reserve my judgement on the Kompakt until all the details are available, but there is a fundamental difference between e-ink and OLED.

4 Likes

Hi,
Just wondering if there is any information on whether or not Mudita Kompakt will have a browser? To me I meditate over an hour a day every day, and I love the mindfulness of Mudita. I used to have a Pure briefly. But It’s hard to use a device as a primary device without at least a browser. To me its an essential tool. Otherwise its only texting and calls. The browser is a must have. When you travel you need a way to at least access some information. But otherwise I love the design and Kompaktness :smiley: of the new device. Thank you so much!

Anthony A.

2 Likes

I am also looking forward to a confirmation of the same. Without a browser, it would just be an improved version of the Pure with a touchscreen and camera. Minimalism means different things to each of us though. Let’s see what Mudita has in store for us. Some of us are bound to be disappointed.

2 Likes

Yes I completely agree. Without at least a browser its still just a nicer very basic feature phone. When you travel, how can you even access your basic information? I just think there has to be at least a small level of self control and some basic apps or tools need to be available. I am completely good with no social media, and LOVE THE PRIVACY OF THE OS, but Browser, GPS are big ones to go without. I honestly love the concept and design of this phone but without a browser its a really tough sell. Its why the light phone isn’t doable as well. The feature should at least be available to install if someone would like too. If not they can buy a Pure. Excited to find out though.

2 Likes

I strongly agree. They can allow users to download something already available. As I replied to a user earlier, only feature phones are truly minimalist phones. Everything else is just trying to have your cake and eat it too.

3 Likes

Yes its kinda like the Pure should be reserved for a very basic feature Minimal phone. The Kompakt should at least have a core set of features, browser, text, gps, calls, and maybe music and calendar. I think a core set of apps like a basic browser should at least be available for install even if it doesn’t come preinstalled. Make an app store Mudita that are privacy centered apps. I’ll pay for them. You have to scan a QR code when you get on a flight. You have to look up information at least sometimes. I am someone who is constantly mindful, I meditate over an hour a day. I love these aspects of Mudita. If the Kompakt can deliver all the major basic functions well and a browser (if you can’t handle at least a browser and still be present in your life, then you really need to look within anyways) I think its a winning combo. I love the idea of having a Ereader on my phone as well. Browser and GPS is a must though. So I totally agree.

2 Likes

I’m now expecting something like this for a better look at the phone and the display.

2 Likes

True and I love the design of the Lightphone 3, but still same issue no browser. I do love the short wider design (blackberry z10 vibes). But I love the size of the Kompakt and that its has a built in Ereader. but same issue with Lightphone no browser and the company ethos actually states they will never allow one. I don’t have cell phone addiction, its more of the mindful aspect and actual data privacy. I also love smaller devices that are pocketable. It just doesn’t make sense to not at least offer some core basic capabilities like a browser. I also have a feeling they won’t be offering a browser on the Kompakt or they would have showed it in the mini reveal. Kompakt has a browser it will definitely be my next device. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My situation is somewhat similar to yours. I am not looking at the Kompakt to reduce screen time. E-ink displays are not common yet and small phones are becoming rare. Unless there is an option to download a browser and other basic apps to make the device more practical, my wait will continue. The Pure was only a feature phone and cost more than €300. This one has a touchscreen and should cost a lot more.

2 Likes

God I will pay any price for a new Blackberry, Kompakt, anything that is smaller, pocketable, data private os along with the main aspects of a device. I have no issue sitting my phone down and walking away. Small phone is a must. I just can’t get with a giant brick in my pocket. I currently use a iPhone 13 mini and have multiple eink tablets (nook glowlight 4 plus, and a kobo Libra 2). Avid reader so I love the idea of a ereader on my device (depending on battery life or make it with removable batteries). But yeah I honestly love the idea of the Kompakt and it ticks most boxes, but without a browser and some basic functionality, that will make the Kompakt text and calls. It must have a browser at a minimum. So I’m right there with you. It has a browser it will be my next device.

2 Likes

I rather have no browser, a browser on your phone opens up more distractions like opening social media sites, news sites, random searches etc.
My idea is to use the Kompakt as the primary distraction free device to be present in the moment.
I’d still have my iPhone with banking apps, airline apps for holidays etc but I want it to be inside a drawer turned off most of the time instead of my pocket.

The only thing they haven’t mentioned so far that I’d like to have is hotspot capability to be able to connect my laptop or a secondary device like the iPhone when needed without having to swap sims. This way I’m being more intentional about when to connect to the internet instead of having easy internet browser access all the time that sucks you into mindless distractions.

3 Likes

Really enjoying the concept so far (few tools on the phone, low power high visibility b&w eink screen, small (compact) phone). Looks like they are putting some thought into it and executing it nicely. At the moment I use an iPhone Mini 12 and really don’t want any big phone, the Kompakt will be nice to keep something small and pocketable like phones used to be. Now let’s hope it’s not too expensive.

2 Likes

Yeah to each his own, I just can’t agree with that. A browser is pretty basic feature and essential on a device. I don’t have smart phone addiction. I make a point to be on mine as little as possible. But I completely get no social media and all the distractions. I’m an avid reader and a mindful person that meditates every day. It’s just a browser is a must to access flight information, travel, things like that. GPS maps are pretty vital too. Otherwise its only texts and calls. I thought about having a device like this and bringing an iPad mini along, but kinda defeats the purpose. But I love the concepts of the device so far also, and the size is perfect. Love the idea of having a Ereader on the device as well. Its also cute and the size is perfect. So I’m excited to see all the details when its fully revealed.

2 Likes

Web browser? At this point it becomes a smartphone in my mind. You can access everything through the browser - mail, games, social media, news etc. There already is at least one E-ink smarthphone on the market.

3 Likes

I know what you mean! I still have mine :smiley: and I use it :slight_smile: It works

1 Like

If you only need calling and messaging, you could wait for an improved version of the Pure.

3 Likes

The Light Phone III will cost $799. I expect the Kompakt will have a price in the same range.

3 Likes

It was already a smartphone once the camera got added.

3 Likes