4G/LTE on Mudita Pure? Soon required in USA

The Mudita Pure will support 2G, 3G, and 4G/LTE.

This is good to know for Mudita Pure buyers in the USA.

This LightReading.com article from 20 August 2020 discusses the looming sunsetting of 3G in the USA.

7 Likes

This FierceWireless article from 16 March 2021 indicates that T-Mobile will turn off 3G in the USA by 1 January 2022.

5 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd Thank you so much for this. I will definitely check it out.

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd just to be sure, we are aiming to deliver VoLTE support in T-Mobile US.

3 Likes

That’s good news, @urszula!

I am switching my carrier here in the USA in a few days from an AT&T-network-based MVNO (Pure TalkUSA) to a T-Mobile-network-based MVNO (Mint Mobile), which supports Voice over LTE (VoLTE).

2 Likes

I’m testing two US networks in Poland right now, from the perspective of roaming. I will share my experience.

3 Likes

T-Mobile USA (TMUS) bought Sprint, which owned Boost Mobile.

DISH Network, a satellite-TV provider, now operates Boost Mobile in the USA, which uses the TMUS network. (Per Wikipedia, " In Australia, it [the Boost Mobile brand] is operated by Boost Tel PTY Limited using Telstra’s mobile network.")

The aforementioned Fierce Wireless article makes an intriguing point about a possible conflict between DISH and T-Mobile:

…asked about T-Mobile shutting off [by 1 January 2022] the old Sprint 3G CDMA network. T-Mobile, according to Dish, is conveniently waiting in the wings to grab Boost Mobile customers as its own when their CDMA handsets no longer work.

So, it should be interesting to see how Boost Mobile (the U.S. version) works internationally with the Mudita Pure.

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I will be playing with this over the weekend & I see how it works.

3 Likes

Verizon announced yesterday that its network will be only 4G/LTE and 5G as of 1 January 2023:

3 Likes

AT&T plans to shutter its 3G network by 22 February 2022, per this:

“When the 2G network was sunset, service providers announced a 4-year transition period. At the time, the alarm industry operated approximately 2.4 million cellular-based radios,” the group told the FCC in a filing earlier this month. With 3G, though, the industry is struggling to deal with even more devices in an even shorter timeframe.

Specifically, the group said around 2.4 million alarms connect to Verizon’s 3G network, while 3.6 million connect to AT&T’s 3G network. After several delays, Verizon has announced a 3G sunset of December 31, 2022, “which the alarm industry is fighting to meet,” according to AICC. But AT&T plans to shutter its own 3G network even earlier, by February 22, 2022.

https://www.lightreading.com/security/atandts-3g-shutdown-plans-are-harmful-even-deadly-warns-alarm-industry/d/d-id/769737?

2 Likes

AT&T lists phones that will work on its network after it phases out 3G:

4 Likes

ATT recently disable 2G and 3G support for any phones still online… bye bye flipper.

2 Likes

…and AT&T is now giving a 4G/LTE phone to its customers who have 3G phones:

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd interesting. Good to know. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

More details about shutdowns by T-Mobile US:

• October 1 [, 2021] – T-Mobile’s UMTS 3G network is scheduled to close down
  • January 1, 2022 – Sprint’s CDMA 3G network will close down
  • December 31, 2022 – T-Mobile’s 2G network will be shut down.
2 Likes

Also…
4G/LTE phones must support VoLTE to work on the Verizon network in the USA after 31 December 2022.

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/

3 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd We are aiming to deliver VoLTE for the release :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yet another date for a shutdown by T-Mobile US:

• June 30, 2022 – Sprint’s 4G/LTE network may close down
2 Likes

An alarm-industry group in the USA has asked the FCC to require AT&T to postpone the sunsetting of 3G service from 22 February 2022 to 31 December 2022:

2 Likes

I’m trying to figure out what carries in the United States will be compatible with the pure. Is there a list of supported bands? This information would be helpful for me as I am considering switching carriers. Thanks

2 Likes