Why do so many potential backers want the Pure to work like a smartphone?

Just to add to this, I absolutely support Signal on the Pure as it is just a means of communication, not something that you mindlessly scroll through. As my entire family and a lot of my friends live in different countries, being able to keep in touch with them is, of course, high on my priority list.

6 Likes

If we can figure out some way to use signal on the desk app that would be marvelous!

2 Likes

Just leaving this here (from the Kickstarter project). If it could have been done before, maybe it can still be done, with enough people supporting this. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve seen trotted out the long list of separate devices one would need to replace a smartphone quite often… but what long-time smartphone users no longer seem to comprehend is that all of these separate devices aren’t necessary to bring along every time one leaves the house. If you’re making a quick trip to the store, do you really need the camera, GPS, and CD player along with your phone? Do you even need the phone?

Smartphone users have gotten used to applying a technological sledgehammer to every “problem”, even when having a box of smaller, more specialized tools would serve them better.

6 Likes

Right there with you… A clean example of Less being More.

3 Likes

Please keep it Pure, Simple & Minimalistic!

There are many millions of mindful people waiting for such a basic phone.
Without internet, messengers and rest of requests addressed by “smartphone fans”.

People who share and support your ideas will choose Mudita Pure for theirself and their loved ones, especially for their kids. All of us gonna support You and your future products.

And those who are not ready yet to accept this Pure Ideas, will constantly and insistently gonna complaint and ask for more and more features trying to turn it into a semi smartphone or just another smartphone with e-ink display…

6 Likes

I agree. If I could make a single request, I only ask to expand the modem feature through usb-c to the iPad.

5 Likes

@roberto You’re not the only one who has asked about this. :slight_smile: stay tuned

3 Likes

Hi @urszula and @Wojciech_Cichon, I wondered if the team had considered integrating signal since it was last discussed? Did the idea mentioned by @John_Andersson go anywhere?

Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

@rhysjones I’ll let @Wojciech_Cichon answer this as he is more knowledgeable on the topic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@rhysjones we’re stuck with the idea so far. We’re constantly working to release the phone and MuditaOS so that both work perfectly in the setup we promised. I think we (including the OSS community) can come back to this topic once the phones start reaching our first backers. I hope this answers your question.
All the best!

4 Likes

Thanks for this response, it means a lot. Do you think it is possible to implement at a later date given your involvement in MuditaOS thus far, or do you think there are hardware restrictions that limit it?

As far as I know, there aren’t any hardware restrictions that could ruin this. This subject was brought up on the forum I believe in this thread and many others (please search Signal). It’s mostly about making sure that Signal app for Pure would be accepted by the guys at Signal and maintained by the community.

3 Likes

Re-reading this thread, I conclude that there are basically three camps. 1) people that want a smartphone with all the flexibility it can provide, at the expense of complexity, expense, privacy. 2) people that want a multi-communication device and entertainment device. Do these people even NEED a telephone? 3) people that want a basic mobile phone.
I believe that Pure was intended for the third group.

4 Likes

@nicole-ksusa GREAT observation! I’m also of the opinion that sometimes, a smartphone isn’t really about having A PHONE & being connected. It’s more about convenience of immediate gratification & being entertained every second of the day :smiley:

8 Likes

^ This likely encapsulates how several Mudita Pure customers see smartphones!

6 Likes

I was never in quite the same situation. I am a technology professional, but I am a little older. I was an adult before smartphones became a thing. I have personally always loathed smartphones. I’ve hated how they’ve changed society. When I was a child, I dreamed about a handheld computers and how they’d change the world, but I was very wrong about the form they’d take and how they’d be used. They are essentially electronic leashes that allow humans to spend money and time on things that make no meaningful addition to our lives.

For me, the life transition similar to the one you made was stopping watching so much TV, reading so much news, and reading a bunch of pablum. I started spending more time exercising, meditating, and focusing on those things that have more meaning to me. It’s made the world of difference in my life.

9 Likes

Interesting.
It’s a good analogy. Restricting movement - or rather creativity, contemplation, emotions. Or even worse, interest and understanding in others.

7 Likes

I say this to myself almost every day.

7 Likes

I do not want the Mudita Pure phone to be like a smartphone.
However, I would love to see a Mudita phone + text terminal, as explained here.

1 Like