WhatsApp in OpenSource for Mudita

@basketsgm For some people, Mudita Pure might be a radical approach. Some people have gotten used to being constantly connected to the internet, and even though we know that it’s not healthy, there is a certain part of us that has a hard time letting go.

The problem is that most people (especially those on Android) just keep using Whatsapp; you can’t convert them. So at least the ability to receive Whatsapp messages (only text) would be great. I then can respond to those people with SMS, if Whatsapp sending is a problem.

1 Like

@marc67 I see the need for these type of messengers, especially if you travel a lot & staying in contact via data based communicators is cheaper when wifi is around. We are working on something that can fill that void.

If it’s not Whatsapp then I’m afraid it isn’t worth the work. Whatsapp is awful, but the reality is that the majority is using it. Nobody is going to use an alternative chat app. That’s the unfortunate reality.

I personally don’t need data based communication. I can use e-mail for that.

1 Like

Hey @spongothedongo: Signal’s desktop app has always worked as a full client that didn’t need a connection to your phone. You could turn your phone off, destroy the sim card and keep using Signal on desktop forever. Registering a new or existing number on Signal desktop is disabled in the source code (but could be technically enabled if you care enough to recompile the desktop client with some modifications). To register your number in Signal on a device, the sim card doesn’t need to be in the same device. You just need to enter from the text message manually.

WhatApp on the other hand only recently made it possible to keep using the desktop client without an active connection to your phone. And even now, it will stop working if the connection to the phone is lost for more than 14 days.

iMessage is very pedantic about only activating your phone number if the sim card is currently situated in an iPhone. You cannot use your number in iMessage on your Macbook if your sim card sits in an Android device.

1 Like

@marc67 Personally, I would like to see an app that brings all your messaging apps together in one place. So if your phone number is registered with Whatsapp, you would get those messages on the phone. My main gripe is that my social circle here, in Poland & in the US, use a bunch of different apps. Some people use Whatsapp, some use iMessage, others use Telegram or Signal & then there are those that use Messanger exclusively & I even know people who use Wicr. So this means you have to have all those apps installed on the phone. When I gave up the smartphone (since I only try to use it for work) during my non-working hours- I have no access to those apps. That’s why people can only text or call me.
I would love to see an app that puts all those messages in one place. Without having the need to have 5 different messaging apps on your phone.

4 Likes

@minigilbert so far, not yet. Perhaps because I open the browser every day to check if I have any messages. I think if there would be no activity in 14 days, them I would have to re-activate it.

@thinkround This is why I absolutely HATE Apple & the iPhone. They are all about keeping users in their ecosystem & make it very difficult for anyone to branch out. It’s pretty shady IMHO :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think what would be a bad idea to put WhatsApp on a phone that has the purpose to disconnect from overwhelm.

3 Likes

@anon20441913 I think you’re right, but I do see why people might need these apps. I have a friend that runs a AirBnB business & she depends on Whatsapp to stay in touch with her guests. However, for us that don’t have that need, it’s better to completely unplug.

2 Likes

Maybe something like this?

4 Likes

Can I use the MOD version for this work also…?

1 Like

@sanjuk Are you asking if you can install this on Mudita Pure?

If MuditaOs were to implement an Instant Messenger App (inter alia for encryption purposes) as an alternative to (unencrypted) SMS, I would recommend Threema :
— Sober, encrypted, top privacy (peer-to-peer storage) & full open source
— Europa-based; adopted by Swiss authorities
— Possible partnership?
Threema – The secure messenger for individuals and businesses – Overview | Threema GmbH · GitHub

1 Like

@agent_libre Thank you for this. I am passing this on to the devs. This is really interesting.

Thank you for sharing that! I like the comparison at Messenger Comparison – Threema, but Threema’s claim of “No phone number or email address required” is NOT completely true, given that must provide an email address when buying the license at https://shop.threema.ch/.

1 Like

I guess you could try to install the software directly from the forge [Threema GmbH · GitHub]. I am not sure how the auth licence works exactly; it might be possible to create your own or to use the app without the authentication token (not with all advantages, though).

Hi, I’m the OP. The reason I asked about this was strictly for my own purposes. I have volunteer work that is done exclusively on WhatsApp and was trying to determine if it would ever be possible to use the Pure as my only device.

1 Like

@moon9river I totally get you. Whatsapp is very useful when it comes to communicating internationally for free with just a data connection.
I found a work-around. I use My Mudita Pure phone number to resister whatsapp & then I just use it on the web.

1 Like
1 Like