Weekend Unpluggers

Several weeks ago, we had a discussion about digital detoxes and intentionally unplugging. This question is primarily for Weekend Unpluggers, like @kirkmahoneyphd.
When Friday evening comes & you are ready for your weekend detox, are you switching phones? Or do you have a specific phone you use on the weekends (for phone calls etc.) or do you just rely on your house phone? If you switch phones, so you swap out your sim card? Or do you have a separate number? I’m curious about your tips & tricks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know this question is from awhile back but I usually have a movie night with my son every friday night. I use to have my phone with me at all times and I found myself looking at it more than the movie. So I made a rule to shut the phone off and put it in my sons room. At that time I had the freedom blocking app so I was able to lock myself out of the phone but my addiction was so strong often I was reset the phone and uninstall the freedom app. I then switched to a Nokia phone for the weekends and i enjoyed that but very quickly found my way back to my smartphone. I gave up my smartphone completely this past sunday so this is my fourth day smartphone free and I love it. Only problem now is the wait for my Mudita pure is killing me!

2 Likes

I aspire to be a weekend unplugger but with very limited success. Yet, switching SIMs is much too much of a hassle for me. So I have a dumbphone that never runs out of battery for phone calls, and a secondary SIM for a s-l-o-w data connection on the smartphone. The idea would be that it would be easy to just leave the smart phone at home. So far it hasn’t worked out like that, so I have ended up carrying two phones :man_facepalming: but maybe one day.

3 Likes

@harri Even if you carry that smartphone with you, do you find yourself interacting with it a lot, or is it just there, just in case?

This entire weekend I maybe had 20 mins screen time with my punkt. I literally improves your mood immediately. I can’t explain it but since I have given up a smart phone even when I am in the same room with someone that has a smartphone my body just has this feeling of get away from me! lol

2 Likes

It’s actually an interesting question, and I’ve thought about this a bit. I’m not sure if I really interact with the smartphone all that much, or not all the time at least. But with a smartphone it is not really all that easy to ever be disconnected. There are useful things on it, like local transport tickets and camera, but then news and various instant messaging apps are just too easily available.

1 Like

@urszula:

• I do not switch phones for the weekend.
  • My house phone line is for outbound faxes and for weekday business. Otherwise, I don’t use it much, not even on weekends.
  • I have only one SIM card.

I have multiple old Android phones, but the one that I use every day is a five-year-old LG Android-7 phone whose screen I have set to grayscale and whose home page I have minimized to apps similar to those on the home page of the Pure. Other unavoidable apps, such as the Google Play app, are in a few folders on the second page, which I rarely visit.

Effectively, I am “living the Pure life” every day even though I have not yet received my Mudita Pure.

1 Like

I guess I’m a weekend unplugger! I keep my work laptop shut off and stowed over the weekends, and don’t get online unless I have a Zoom event to manage (one or two a month at most). This is really a work-life thing more than an online-offline thing for me, but because the vast majority of anything I do online is work, it comes out about the same.

There’s no need for me to have a weekend phone as my phone doesn’t have a browser. It’s a Sunbeam Daisy, it lives in a charging cradle on my desk, and it only leaves the house if I’m going far enough away that I’d need to call a cab if the car broke down.

1 Like

I love the look and feel of the punkt! I only wish the battery didn’t drain so fast. : (

1 Like

I have never had that issue. If the battery is not lasting an entire day than you are probably on the phone way too much. I got this phone to be on it as little as possible so I never have battery issues. Last me 2-3 days

1 Like

Maybe my standards for battery life are too high! It lasts a little over a day for me with (to me) normal use. I bought it to use as a phone, not to be on the phone less.

I don’t mind too much having to plug it in often, but it is an adjustment.

2 Likes

@theflipside Thanks for the feedback. You’ll be glad to hear that battery fixes & improvements in battery life. Our goal is for Mudita Pure’s battery to last around a week.