We need your help designing our new phone!

I’m with you there. I enjoy using single-use tech. I just wish I could fully use my Garmin watch without requiring Garmin Connect on a phone.

4 Likes

I use a Garmin GPS on my motorcycle.

3 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd Thanks for this tip. I’m gonna check it out myself.

2 Likes

Thanks Urszula :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually I never had a mobile, I’m not a huge fan of these kind of gadgets. But I’m planning to buy a first one only for the reason that the government decided to close all the public telephone booths in the country.

So my knowledge about possible features in mobile phones is limited.

With that said, I want to prevent as much as possible any kind of radiation. Related to this, please keep the slider of your 1st gen phone to put it off (off equal to zero radiation and no way to track you), as if I was carrying a stone in my bag.

The other must have is an e-ink screen with a simple, secure and updated OS: they can provide less distractions and more battery power optimization.

The other must have is an easily removable battery and a better battery life (not less than five days to charge it for example some day at the weekend).

And finally, the last must have would be a QWERTY keyboard to write in my mother tongue. A good alternative in the future to the QWERTY would be the first physical e-ink keyboard for a mobile with customizable keys, following the same idea that Nemeio applied to the PC keyboards.

2 Likes

I tested HERE WeGo on a drive yesterday and discovered that it requires Google Text to Speech (TTS) – or another TTS engine – when one wants spoken directions. Given (a) that I do not want to put anything Google on my de-Googled Google Pixel 4a and (b) that I failed to find a non-Google TTS engine in the AOSP world, I now must say that HERE WeGo is not for me with respect to a useful-for-driving navigation app on a de-Googled phone.

In contrast, I love what Sunbeam Wireless has done with the HERE navigation app on Sunbeam’s Google-apps-free flip phones (such as on my F1 Orchid), as THAT navigation feature DOES include spoken directions.

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd Google sometimes weirds me out with what they want access to. I wrote about an experience I had back in August on the forum here:
GoogleMaps asked for permission to record audio…

4 Likes

I am hoping for:

• a simple way to put the phone in airplane mode – with all radios off (cellular; WiFi, if included; Bluetooth, if included);
  • a good speaker;
  • a 3.5-mm audio jack;
  • a corded way to transfer files (e.g., MP3s) between the phone and a computer.
5 Likes

I agree, all of the above but also:

1. A fully functioning MP3 player.
  2. All of the extras that the Pure came with (meditation, the natural relaxation sounds etc. )
  3. A good calendar.
7 Likes

While its often forgoten, I also like good Notes application, easy to type, edit and copy :smiley:
I like quick digital notes for various reasons :smiley:

4 Likes

^ I used the speech-to-text feature on my Sunbeam Wireless F1 Orchid to speak those two sentences into a new note on my Orchid in about three seconds. Thank you for reminding me how handy a notes app – especially the one that Sunbeam’s speech-to-text feature facilitates – can be!

3 Likes

I remember when I owned the sunbeam. It’s speech to text is really good. But I found because it was too good it would distract me because it was too easy to just text people all day. My Punkt is triple click which is a pain, but in my use case its great because it keeps me from my texting addiction

2 Likes

Yes a notes application is essential too, perhaps with a ‘reminder’ functionality.

4 Likes

Now that I daily or almost daily put my Sunbeam Wireless F1 Orchid flip phone in airplane mode, I have thought more about what I posted here.

Although it takes me three steps to put the Orchid in airplane mode (Flip open the phone. Pull down from the top. Tap the airplane icon.), I must pick up and flip back open the Orchid to see that it is in airplane mode.

If the next Mudita cellphone has a physical slider whose position I could see – to confirm that it is in airplane mode – without touching it (as I believe the Pure has), then that would be more efficient.

4 Likes

Is there any possibility of the Mudita Type being released independent of the (choice b. “Mudita Compact”)Kompakt?

2 Likes

HAPPY UPDATE #1: I found in the APKPure app store (an AOSP alternative to the Google Play Store) the eSpeak NG text-to-speech engine, and it enables spoken directions in HERE WeGo!

HAPPY UPDATE #2: Per the HERE WeGo page – www.here.com/products/wego – HERE WeGo does have a “HERE Traffic” option. You simply must put the app in online mode (vs. offline mode, which uses no cellular data).

So, HERE WeGo can work as a useful-for-driving navigation app on an AOSP-based phone, such as the Mudita Kompakt. Sweet!

3 Likes

Just a small remark: some network operators no longer support MMS

2 Likes

After spending time reading these responses, I realized Mudita didn’t consider any of the feedback. Seems like most people wanted a Pure type phone or something with a keyboard, but then Mudita comes out with an eInk smartphone.

2 Likes

We’ll see. By the end of the month, they should give us some news.

3 Likes

My Mudita Pure stopped after a month of use and while on my way to meet someone. At the time, I really panicked as I couldn’t contact her to update my location. Long story short, luckily I had a spare phone on me and texted another person for my date’s number and used my spare phone to reach her. But it was a bad experience. Now, I use a secondhand Google Pixel flashed with LineageOS as my personal phone and Hisense colour e-ink phone as a work phone. Hisense does not have Google but I read that it pings to servers in China

I voted for MUDITA TYPE as I have always preferred a physical keypad. In terms of the shape, I like something similar to BB Passport. Colour e-ink, with option to choose the OS; for example, Volla offers buyers a choice of pre-installed non-Google Android or Ubuntu Touch. Removable battery and kill switches like the Librem 5. Audio jack and ability to connect via ethernet - at home I use ethernet and have wifi and cellular data switched off. Ability to browse internet as well as install functional apps e.g. maps, messaging. I watch videos on my phone rather than on a large screen because it consumes less energy. I also prefer using messaging apps rather than SMS because I have my phone off for long periods of time; when it is switched back on messages that come through show the time the phone is switched on, rather than the time the message was sent, and if the phone is switched off for weeks e.g. on holiday, then some messages will never get delivered. Therefore, I use Telegram so messages get delivered no matter how long my phone is switched off.

However, if it is Mudita OS I am not likely to buy it as I don’t want to figure out how to transfer my texts, data etc should I want to change phones. I have used LineageOS for a while now and feel more assured that it is widely accepted and so far it has not failed me, and am looking to try Ubuntu Touch next on a spare phone.

5 Likes

@bel Thanks for sharing your story with us. When your Mudita Pure stopped working, did it just freeze or did you loose network signal?
It’s good that you had a backup device & were able to go on with your day.

2 Likes