Violating user privacy in the name of safety & security

@kirkmahoneyphd Just ran across this article & it’s somewhat related

4 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

@roberto I think this is even worse than the “google fence” matter which we discussed previously:

4 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

@roberto Is it just me, or is this surveillance getting a bit out of hand at the moment?

3 Likes

Indeed, especially in the last couple of years.

4 Likes

Wow.

will allow police to monitor footage from private cameras across the city with the camera owners’ consent

and then

The San Francisco Police Department (SFPD) will not have continuous access to the cameras but will be able to tap into the network under certain conditions, such as during the investigation of crimes including misdemeanors and property crimes. The SFPD will also be able to access private camera footage during large-scale public events such as protests, even if there is no suspicion that a crime has taken place.

you can imagine that the second condition will override the first one, if classified as an event of national security/concern.

4 Likes

@John_Andersson All of this looks like it could really be up for SERIOUS misuse- but that’s just my opinion. You know, they can use various reasons to justify ANY surveillance.

4 Likes

Key takeaways

• 55.2% of apps admit to sharing user data.
  • Free apps shared 7x more data than paid ones
  • Sensitive data isn’t safe from sharing: 13.4% of apps shared location history while 6.7% shared email addresses
4 Likes
4 Likes

Data is BIG business, there’s no doubt about it.
I recently watched this documentary on DW- super interesting.

3 Likes
2 Likes

https://twitter.com/Rudcher/status/1598596534656024576

4 Likes

@John_Andersson This is an interesting observation. Thanks for sharing.
To be honest, I would have never thought of that.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Well, I suppose it’s a step in the right direction.

3 Likes

Is “creepy” a euphemism for this news?

3 Likes

I see what you did there, @roberto! The creeping Roomba records creepy videos.

3 Likes