The new age of social media

Hopefully it will make, at least some, people rethink their social media use and either spend less time using it, or close their accounts entirely.

4 Likes
5 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd YUP AGREED! :100: :100: :100:

Social media gives us the illusion of being social. I call them ā€œlow maintenanceā€ relationships. By scrolling, you kinda get the idea of whatā€™s going on in peopleā€™s lives. You may comment or like a post/picture, however, itā€™s all without putting in any effort to reach out and talk or meet up face-to-face.
Itā€™s really such a cop-out.
On the other hand, since many of my friends & family live in the US & I live in Poland, It makes me feel less like Iā€™m missing out on birthday parties, catch-ups and vacation pix when a friend or family member returns from a trip abroad.
So itā€™s important to keep a balanced approach. Make time to call people- ON THE PHONE, have a chat, meet up for lunch, dinner or coffee. It important to nurture those relationships.

4 Likes

@urszula, my ebook launched today has a chapter dedicated to the human species as the animals we are. I also mentioned the effects of social media on us. Your comment reminds me of the concept of Anomie I wrote about in the book.

Anomie is a condition arising from societal changes that erode the moral order; it manifests as detachment and a sense of losing oneā€™s identity and meaningful societal role. With social media, the rapid evolution of digital communication disrupts established norms, weakens traditional social bonds, challenges personal identities, and potentially exacerbates feelings of isolation and disconnection.

5 Likes

@roberto Please post a link where our members can buy your e-book. Iā€™m sure people are going to be excited to get it!

3 Likes

Thank you, @urszula. I refrained from doing so to maintain the postā€™s focus on the topic. While the book presents critical views on animal training and provides fresh insights into the field, I have specifically dedicated the initial chapters to exploring our understanding of ourselves as animals and our interactions with other species.

PS: Please check your messages. :slight_smile:

4 Likes