Tethering to iPad pro

@roberto This is a tricky situation & our team tested it & it doesn’t really work, because Apple products, don’t always play well with other products. Apple software is proprietary & it’s specifically designed to work within the iOS ecosystem. It’s not always a seamless transition with cable tethering. I’m curious:
Is this something that is crucial for the Mudita Community?

1 Like

Thank you, @urszula. In my case, I would be more than happy with the bluetooth option. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Wojciech_Cichon is Bluetooth tethering an option for Pure?

2 Likes

I’ll add it to the list of future requests!

6 Likes

My existing phone doesn’t have any kind of tethering so even if this doesn’t work, the Pure is an upgrade for me. Buuut, yes, this would be a super good feature. I don’t have a laptop so this would be the only way I could check email when I’m travelling.

The pro (and the new mini) do have USB C and they work with USB C ethernet adapters. I haven’t been able to find whether that protocol is different from USB C cellulae adapters or what the Mudita Pure presents itself as, when connected.

I’m equally OK with wired and bluetooth. I need the wire anyway for charging (and I also use the same wire to connect my keyboard) so I wouldn’t be carrying anything extra.

It can"t run electron apps.

2 Likes

https://mudita.com/products/software-apps/mudita-center/ one downloads that laptop app and thats how u connect the phone to a laptop and that mudita center is also how u do OS updates to the phone etc etc and i also think thats the ONLY way to do OS updates to the phone is via that app .and you even use mudita center for the tethering i think also.

1 Like

Considering that more and more people are switching to tablets as working device (I’m one of those) I will say it would be truly appreciated if this functionality could be implemented :pray:

In general, tethering should work as-is, without Mudita Center. It’s just a Modem <=> USB passthrough. It does NOT work for iOS though - Linux, Windows, and macOS (after little tinkering) will work.

3 Likes

scroll up about 6 comments to see urzulas comment she uis a mudita employee she said its tricky as apple stuff is tricky with it being proprietary and all

1 Like

Forgive me for my inconsistency - I meant that in general tethering does not require the Mudita Center on the target device. As this is an iPad pro topic let me answer in detail regarding an iPad.
Our tethering works as a Modem <=> USB passthrough. It has been tested with Windows, Linux, and macOS and it works with more or less tweaking. iOS does not work with Pure’s tethering probably because of lack of the modem drivers. I have verified it today with the latest iPad Pro and unfortunately, I couldn’t make it work.

You can get ethernet from the lightning port on iPad with one of these:

https://www.dustinhome.se/product/5011169486/ethernet-power-adapter-with-lightning-connector?ssel=true&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpMTjj7HR9AIVQ-R3Ch0dbA_UEAYYASABEgLJVvD_BwE

If you use an USB-C to Ethernet with the Pure, maybe it could work?

1 Like

its also the iPads proprietary OS even more closed off than the desktop ones the way the pure handles tethering it wont work on ipad

1 Like

Being able to tether through bluetooth instead of usb will reduce wear of usb port.

That specific adaptor (Belkin branded) is one of very few, or possibly the only ethernet adaptor that works with the new IOS (Ipad IOS) Apple released recently. Very frustrating that Apple have made their new OS version unrecognise previously working ethernet adaptors. I have about 4 and none of them work anymore. Seems to be a common problem with no solution when you look it up on sites like reddit.
Can’t use my ipad at all unless i spash out massive $ for the Belkin branded one.

I’m also hoping that one day the Mudita will be able to tether directly to the Ipad (either ethernet or bluetooth)… Just keep in mind Mudita developers that Apple seemingly like to change the way IOS deals with device drivers / compatibility with little to no notice.

2 Likes

@rumpole: Strange, I have non-Belkin adaptors that work well on my Mac and iPad. I know that the new macOS update messed up with some adaptors, but most are still working well. :slight_smile:

It is a pity that the cable tethering doesn’t work on the iPad (USB-C). However, I’m hoping that the Bluetooth option comes soon, since I may need an internet connection on the go. :slight_smile:

1 Like

do you have a laptop you can use?

1 Like

Can confirm that it does not currently work.
Plugging it in, the Pure asks if I wanna tether and I say “yes” and it says tethering, but, the setting does not show up in the iPad settings, it doesn’t look like in these videos.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the parking apps and some national payments I need are not available for the mac. :frowning:

Until the Pure Bluetooth feature, the only option I see is having the Nokia in my bag if I need internet.

Yeah, if tethering the tablet starts working (bluetooth or cable, either way), the pure will become the best phone I’ve ever had :heart:.

3 Likes

@sandra I will make sure to bump up this topic to the devs :slight_smile: @Wojciech_Cichon & @Bartosz_sp2fet