T9 functionality

I don’t know why I thought the phone would come with T9 and I don’t know why it’s the thing I was most excited about but it doesn’t and I’m disappointed. I’m wondering if T9 or another sort of predictive text will be available in the future. Thanks!

5 Likes

@peiitforward Thanks for reaching out & giving us feedback. We understand that many people do miss the convenience of predictive text that’s why the option is still on the table & we are working on an option.
@Bartosz_sp2fet would be better equipped to fill you in on the specifics.

4 Likes

+1 for 2001 Nokia 3310-style T9 texting.
It’s potentially the difference between a phone carefully designed to reduce time spent using it, and utter infuriation.
Consider writing “Mudita Pure”:
Without T9: 688344482078877733
With T9: 68348207873
Far less key-presses, and far less concentration required.
It gets even slower and frustrating with words where letters occupy the same key, such as “absolute” or “little”. Without T9, one must pause for a second between the “a” and “b” of “absolute”, and on the double “t” in “little”, or the resultant word will come out as “csolute” or “liue”.
I think T9 or a patent-free similar implementation, for everyone’s sanity, should be a high priority.
At least in the meantime, we have full keyboard functionality via Mudita Center. Even with T9 or the on-screen keyboards of smartphones, I far prefer typing on the computer keyboard. So until T9 (or equivalent) is implemented, Mudita Center will be a massive sanity-saver!

8 Likes

@peiitforward & @forest_cat I’ve got great news. We’re planning on implementing predictive texting AND it’s a high priority for us at the moment,
So your feedback has been really helpful!

9 Likes

Just wanted to add to the conversation that the patents covering T9 have expired (according to wikipedia): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T9_(predictive_text)

5 Likes

That’s great! I really look forward to what you come up with (and look forward to getting the physical device of course :wink: )

3 Likes

Oh also, please let me know if I can help with the Swedish version of T9. I’m a Swedish developer so might be able to help.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Thank God!

4 Likes

@alexlya I’m glad that this news made you happy. I know you’re not the only one.

1 Like

Dear Mudita, i just want to remind you that the creator of the iOS Type Nine app offered to share his dictionaries with Mudita more than a year ago: Predictive text / T9 and SD-card
I think good dictionaries could make the difference between the incredible original Nokia in the year 2000 and the mediocre Nokia/HMD in the year 2020 experience.

8 Likes

Yes! Looking forward to t9 and also as top-tier version of t9 as we can get. I also tried the remodeled Nokia while waiting on Pure and sent it back. When I first opened the Pure and began using the texting feature and became aware that t9 was not available, I was disappointed. However, I’m glad that most things that I’ve noticed with the Pure are software challenges and can be sorted through.

3 Likes

T9 is on our roadmap and we’ll start work on it in the nearest future, so stay tuned!

7 Likes

Guys, this is over a year ago. What’s the status of T9?

7 Likes

My guess is this will be an option in the next Mudita phone not the current one

1 Like

@cmct33 This was stretch goal, which we hoped to implement. However, tackling all the issues which came up in the meantime proved to me more of a priority to fix. I will ask our team if this is still on the table.

1 Like