Suggestion: OGG music format as an option

Will OGG music format be an option sometime? This would make a great option as OGG is completely free and open source. OGG Vorbis – OGG Vorbis is a free and open-source alternative to MP3 and AAC. Open source basically means that the encoder is not restricted by any patents. You’ll find that OGG is a lossy music container as well. Great sound quality but the files are no where near as large as FLAC. This will actually give the ability to users to have great sounding music without limiting the amount of music that can be imported to Mudita. Some people have to have great sounding music, and lots of it. OGG can do this, MP3 can not. Any thoughts?

6 Likes

@seven Thank you for your input & your suggestion. Currently, it supports MP3, FLAC and WAV formats. I will pass on your idea to our team. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Suggestion seconded!
I didn’t want to say anything when i saw “mp3”, but in a open source powered device what really makes sense is to use open formats. Besides OGG is better in terms of terms of compression than mp3.
To allow proprietary formats over open source alternatives is like having a text editor than can work with Word or PDF formats but not ODT for example.

3 Likes

While I don’t want to contradict the suggestions above, here’s another thought to consider / evaluate. The hoerbert.com device is a very low-powered audio player (running 50 hours on 4 AA batteries) that supports all kinds of audio formats. In fact, the device itself only plays uncompressed wav files because it is easier on the battery than anything that needs to be decompressed before playing. It would be interesting to see if playback of wav files is easier on the battery on the Pure as well. You cannot of course carry your whole music library with you in wav format, by lack of storage space, but if I you only want to have a few hours of audio on your phone at any time anyway, the benefits of a longer lasting battery would persuade me to convert audio files to wav while transferring to the phone. The companion app of hoerbert does this flawlessly and is open source as well. Anyway just a thought to consider in the spirit of “less is more”.

1 Like

@thinkround Thank you for your suggestion. Having a battery which lasts a long time is DEFINITELY important. Pure will support WAV as well as MP3, & FLAC formats.

@nirvana Glad you feel the same. If Mudita OS is open source, then it should be able to play music files that are also open source, like OGG. Which are far better quality then the mp3 music file format and are way smaller then the FLAC music file format. An open source OS should offer and open source file format by default. OGG is perfect for this phone.

5 Likes

This is a nice suggestion, and also nice that Urszula considers it.
I would like to add that I do not consider OGG a priority. On the practical side, MP3 and FLAC fulfill the need of lossy and lossless audio formats, with reasonable (not the best) quality, and extreme compatibility. On the ethical side, now there is no limitation for MP3, since the patent of Fraunhofer is not valid anymore and can be freely implemented everywhere, similarly to OGG.
So, I consider OGG nice, like Opus or any other free format, but I would not delay the project or put much effort if complicate.

2 Likes

Has this changed at all? I have 20,000+ songs all in .ogg that I’d hate to convert.

2 Likes

OGG would be a nice addition to an open-source OS :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah i agree too OGG Vorbis let’s make it happen.

1 Like

It’s odd to me that Ogg Vorbis is still relevant when Ogg Opus is many years its successor and superior by every metric.
I guess Xiph.Org did a crappy job making that obvious.

2 Likes

while Opus is available, there is no real reason to prefer Vorbis over it except possibly for catering for older playback devices.
i use some older devices hence i stick with vorbis for some older playback devices i still have and use

2 Likes