Suggestion: Ability to sync Contacts & Calendar from your email via CalDAV & CardDAV

Will you be able to sync contacts & calendar from your email via CalDAV & CardDAV?
Some users would like to sync their contacts and calendar to MudtiaOS. There are many services that have addressbooks and calendar functions. Yet the only options giving to sync are google and apple. This limits freedom. By users having the ability to sync their contacts & calendar to MuditaOS via CalDAV & CardDAV not only increases choice. This also lets the user know that the phone is really theirs and that their contacts would not have to on Gmail or Apple if they feel those services violate their privacy and freedom.

8 Likes

@seven Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there isn’t much possibility since we don’t have email support in the MuditaOS. I did, however, pass your suggestion & comments on to our team.

There must be some misunderstanding here, CalDav and CardDav do not require email support. They are open standards for syncing contact and calendar data. Even Google and Apple are using this protocol for their contact syncing, so it would just be a matter of allowing users to configure custom sync servers, for example posteo.de instead of google.com.

2 Likes

@thinkround Thanks for the follow-up. I am looking into this & I will get back to you shortly.

@thinkround I finally received an answer from our team regarding this. I’m afraid that at this moment we’re not planning to support this feature directly in the OS. Primarily because the Mudita Pure does not have an Internet connection. Mudita Pure does support vCard & CSV format contact transfers. Hopefully this helps.

1 Like

@urszula I find that a bit puzzling because you don’t need wifi to do that. Most phones can connect to their contacts and calendar without wifi. It’s done over cellular all the time.

1 Like

@seven My apologies for all the confusion. I’m not very “techy” so I have passed your questions on to someone who can perhaps better answer all your concerns. Hopefully we can figure this out together. :slight_smile:

@anon83000100 Somehow the discussion on this topic moved to this post & was answered there:

Suggestion: import/export Contacts & Calendars that are on CSV files

@anon83000100 I’m happy to help. :slight_smile:

hi, i’d like to bump up the topic
in my opinion native syncing via carddav and caldav is essential for people that want to stay private. For example I do not want to use google/apple services. that is why i would need alternative solution to keep synced. Lack of carddav and caldav keeps preventing me from purchasing mudita pure for now.

3 Likes

+1 on this I use fastmail so native carddav and caldav would be awesome.

1 Like

@przestworny & @l1ghthouse I have asked our team to clarify this issue for me & to see if what you’re asking is possible to implement.

2 Likes

Any update on this topic?

3 Likes

I still find this issue very relevant. If needed be, carddav and caldav sync could be executed only from Mudita Center; this would already help a lot.

2 Likes

@agent_libre I will ask our devs & get back to you

@agent_libre I’ve got some info from the devs and I’m afraid that at this moment we’re not planning to support this feature directly in te OS. It’s primarily due to the fact that we don’t have an Internet connection.

Sad.

I do not really understand why this is. As I said, carddav/caldav sync could be made with Mudita Center only, not necessarily with the phone (on the OS).

2 Likes

@agent_libre I will ask for a more detailed explanation. Maybe the devs missed something.

1 Like

@urszula As a general rule, I suggest opening / mirroring technical issues on the forge (github), or redirect to them; this is where technical problems should be handled. Otherwise, the community forum will be flooded with such topics.

Example: vcf incompatibilities / cannot import contacts · Issue #789 · mudita/mudita-center · GitHub

1 Like