Reviews of Mudita Pure

Thank you for your response.
I think I’m just having a bit of anxiety switching to a non smart phone for the first time in a long time.
Thank y’all for being so good with your communication and commitment.

3 Likes

@cazz If you’re having some anxiety about switching, try dumbing down your smart phone little by little- Here’s an article on how to do it:

Don’t do it all at once- do one thing every few days & get used it. I did it over a year ago & it really prepares you for making Mudita Pure, your main driver.

1 Like

Thanks for all the videos! Sounds like normal phone speakers to me - not especially good quality, but not worse then other phone speakers. Still waiting for more reviews :wink:

1 Like

Basket Case - Good choice. The phone still sounds tinny, but maybe it is because I am not hearing the phone in person. Is this a phone you can listen to music on? or would it sound better via a bluetooth speaker? It sort of reminds me of listening to tunes on my old tape recorder.

I am thinking that if we had a way to adjust bass, treble, etc the sound might be improved. I doubt proper controls will be added to the phone, but maybe in a future software update the developers might make some tweeks to the sound adjustment.

Probably about 18 to 20 years ago I used to have a music player on my computer called Win Amp and their equalizer had many different pre-sets and you could play around and change them to get the sound you most enjoyed. I found a webpage with all the old Win Amp presets. I will leave a link to the page and maybe Mudita’s tech department can use this information to get the sound to where it should be.
https://github.com/eladkarako/Winamp-Original-Presets

1 Like

@greymoon In person, it’s pretty loud. I actually use it on speaker when I listen to audiobooks while I’m doing things in the kitchen :smiley:

Is there any other person who got the mudita pure already (excluded Sandra and mudita employees)? What’s your opinion? How was the call quality? Is it better after newest update?
BTW I was super early backer on kickstarter (81) and I still patiently waiting for delivery info :slight_smile:

4 Likes

i don’t really do reviews but i’ll write my thoughts here…
i’m not meaning to discredit sandra’s review either, but its a good springboard for me to address some of the issues she had.

also, one other thing to note…i have been on a punkt phone for 6 years now, the mp01, and now currently the mp02.
i supported the pure within 5 minutes of the campaign, but that was when the punkt mp02 was so buggy, it was hardly usable.
since then, punkt has made massive strides with software updates, that its nearly flawless now. probably wouldn’t desire a new phone anymore…
however, i am still thrilled i supported mudita with the pure. here are my initial thoughts, and drawing some comparisons to the mp02.

ALSO also, i have only been using the phone for a day basically, and if there are ways to fix certain things i address through options or settings that i missed, someone please let me know!

CONS:

• i’ll start by giving my biggest gripe. the squeaky loud creak sound when hitting the down arrow navigation button gets very obnoxious. it sounds like the housing is too tight and pulling against that button. makes me feel like the ‘click’ feeling when you press it, won’t last. think of turning your windshield wipers on when its not wet outside and your wipers are squeaking against your windshield…that’s what it sounds like.

• had problem with phone recognizing my SIM card, and initially phone wouldn’t operate with SIM card installed. It would just be on an infinite crash loop. I tried my wife’s SIM and it worked. Went to the T-Mobile store and got a new SIM card, and then the phone started working properly. not sure why it couldn’t read my SIM, but no biggie.

• texting (as much as i can tell now) defaults to ABC (caps) which is kind of annoying. every time i text, i have to change it to lower case.

• have had some issues with texting through mudita center…it appears my messages send, but when i look at my messages on the pure, it will say they didn’t send, and ill need to resend them through the phone. overall, whether on the phone or the mudita center, if a message fails to send, it takes a while to find out. there should be confirmation the message sent for sure.

• editing contacts doesn’t allow dashes between numbers (ex. 818-888-0000). it says its the wrong format. this is kind of annoying because when i imported my contacts, they all have dashes. if i make any edit to the contact entry, such as editing the name, or entering more information, it won’t allow me to save the changes unless i delete the dashes. it appears i dont HAVE to edit out the dashes though to be able to use the contacts…it just flags you if you happen to edit the contacts.

• would be nice to be able to turn the screen completely off. don’t really like always having a display on.

NEUTRAL (what i expected):

• slightly slow response, really ONLY due to e-ink technology. its 20 times better than the light phone 2 for sure. didn’t expect it to be much quicker than it is, and if you desire faster response, e-ink is probably not for you.

• the overall feel and build of the phone is a little plastic-y for me. the punkt mp02 is much nicer as far as weight, and how the buttons feel (mp02 feels like a well oiled machine).

• pretty large in size in comparison to the mp02 (not unexpected from all the pictures mudita has posted though, it’s exactly as it has been presented)

• i agree with sandra about long sms tones, there could be some shorter, single tone sounds for messages.

• need to a guide to figure out tethering. its not showing up in my normal wifi networks. seems initial setup may be a little more complicated for the wired tethering.

PROS:

• totally easy, fast, and straight forward set up (aside from my SIM issue)

• layout of buttons are great! i think the center button command as “doing the big thing” is exactly right, and didn’t take any getting used to for me.

• importing my contacts was flawless.

• old school ‘abc’ texting works fine. i am OK with no predictive texting. with a simple phone, sometimes predictive texting can take more time than you think. the mp02 has so many wrong predictions and bad grammar that i end up spending way more time fixing the message than i save by using predictive text. however i always try it because sometimes it IS faster! i’d rather it just not be a temptation to use, unless its nearly perfect.

• sound quality is totally fine for me. while it might be a tiny bit high in the treble and stuff, it is loud enough. that’s what i care about most. the mp02 is sometimes too quiet, although its a little warmer. i think the sound quality of conversations is as expected. the speaker is really loud too. it could benefit from some EQ changes, but not necessary.

• font and text is not too small for me, and easy to read.

• buttons are not too small, and i don’t find myself hitting the wrong button often at all.

• there are little UX/UI things that i think are great, and you can tell the team put a lot of thought into specific things. such as…

• when pressing the menu, the default selection is on the ‘contacts’, which is right for me.

• ease of adding new contacts.

• being able to “mark as unread” on text message threads, so you can read it, and then mark as unread if its a message you need to get back to later, and don’t want to forget about it.

• love the do not disturb/3 selection slider on the side. love that you can set the middle spot to allow for ‘favorite’ contacts to interrupt you only. perfect for napping when on call for work, and don’t want to be bothered by anyone but the boss.

• the rings and tones are great overall.

• you can pick different alarm tones, which is nice (punkt mp02 only has 1 alarm sound-a rooster crowing, which is jarring)

• you can set how long the snooze is, which is sooo nice. the mp02 snooze defaults to 5 minutes only, and can’t be changed…i prefer 10 minutes.

• flashlight wasn’t necessary, but super nice to have and useful!

• ‘dark mode’ is a really nice option. its basically inverted black and white. makes the phone look better in my opinion but there is more screen bleed from the e-ink in dark mode, however it’s in beta mode and may get even better!

• the button’s backlight is nice

• the 3.5mm headphone jack, allowing to use all types of headphones/headsets

• had no problem with speaker placement at all

• glad there aren’t emojis - can do an oldschool heart — <3

this is all i can think of for now. i’d say overall i am very pleased with it, and its almost exactly as expected. for this initial roll out, and basically the first software version, i am super impressed with how nice it is to use.
im sure ill run into some buggy things over time, but like i said i am impressed so far, and im confident future software updates will smooth everything out.
if only that down arrow didn’t squeak like crazy…

ps. if anyone has specific questions i didn’t address…let me know!

11 Likes

How’s call quality? Does tethering work? Battery life so far?

1 Like
  • sorry, i meant to address tethering. i only spent 5 minutes trying to get it to work, but i couldn’t. meaning to return to this. because its wired tethering, it doesn’t show up in wifi networks the same as say the mp02. i can see it in advanced wifi network settings, but i can’t get it to work. there should be a guide to set this up if there isn’t one already.
  • battery life seems great, but its only been a day. may actually hold up to its claims, unlike the punkt mp02. ill report back on more use.
  • call quality seems good so far. my service seems the same as with the mp02. the sound is loud and clear-just maybe more high pitched. haven’t had a dropped call yet…
3 Likes

Good to hear. Thanks for letting us know. I’m excited to try the phone out and see how it all works. I’ll be releasing my MP02 New Gen review soon and it has improved a ton for sure.

1 Like

Tethering is only via cable. Mudita doesn’t have a WiFi module so it won’t allow for hotspot. Only through cable, but it doesn’t work for many. I wonder if the Antenna is using 4G or 2G on TMobile. Is there any indicator for signal?

2 Likes

Another question, no group text messaging right?

Yeah, its the wired tethering that makes it more confusing. No 2G or 4G or network indicator.
No group texting

1 Like

Thanks for being swift on the responses. Helps us over here in the US to get acquainted with the device. Well… I guess we will have to wait for more reviews in the wild and other coverage.

If you are near Georgia/Colorado (I’ll be traveling these last few weeks), let me know as I’d love to drive over and at least take a look at it haha.

Im in California! haha, a bit ways away. Ill keep you posted on other things I figure out

Soooo close!! I was going to go there for the holidays but couldn’t because of relocation. Oh well haha. Keep us posted :smiley:

I’ve bought enough devices to see that Sandra and Joel’s reviews highlight the likelihood that Sandra’s phone likely has a faulty audio component. The fact the audio is scratchy even when playing audio off the device in addition to phonecalls, and Joel having a device with good audio makes this a likely cause. Bad wiring or bad speaker (and not endemic to the device; just bad luck).
Both reviews are really helpful and hopefully Sandra can get some support for repair?

@joel I had something like this happen to me here in Poland-where Pure works with all service providers. After some research, I think that it might have something to do with whether your sim card is primarily a data/internet sim card or & GSM/call/text sim card. In Poland, we call them “data SIM card” which provides only mobile data.

@joel Regarding the navigation button noise: was customer service in touch with you about replacing your phone?

Sent you a DM Urszula, thanks!

1 Like