Privacy in the Age of the Algorithm

Here’s an interesting DOC which was just released by DW:
Surveillance state or way of the future?

1 Like

As opposite, I found this (utopian) website with an interesting thought .

1 Like

2021 Communist China = USSR on Technological Steroids

The [CCP] government is very strict with our data, as far as I know. I trust them.

^ Here’s a hint: The Chinese Communist Party does not trust YOU in return.

China’s state media boasts that police can identify every single person on the street in just one second.

^ Communist China: The World’s Largest Outdoor Prison

Well, it’s a bit embarrassing. I don’t want to admit how fast the time flies by [on my smartphone]. I have the feeling [that] you don’t just look at one or two videos. You endlessly scroll through.

^ It’s not just a feeling. It’s reality. You DO endlessly scroll through.

Videos [posted to TikTok] that are critical of [Communist] China don’t stand a chance.

^ No kidding!

[Communist] China has completely de-emphasized privacy and freedom of movement during the [Wuhan-virus] pandemic.

^ Communist China began “de-emphasizing” privacy and freedom of movement MANY years earlier.

When the [apartment] door’s [CCP] sensor registers people leaving the apartment in violation of the rules, we’re alerted. District staff and the health department are then informed and can respond quickly. … Criticism or resistance among the population is virtually nonexistent.

^ This sounds like Melbourne, Australia!

The family leaves a trail of digital footprints everywhere it goes.

^ This upper-middle-class family does not care, given that it benefits from the CCP’s stranglehold over Communist China.

[Communist] China wants obedient citizens.

^ All Communist governments want full control of their citizens.

You can control all [Xiaomi] devices on your smartphone.

^ Translation: The CCP can control your use of all Xiaomi devices.

…the [Communist Chinese] state always knows who’s coming and who’s going.

^ Humans are chattel in Communist China.

1 Like

@kirkmahoneyphd Nice play by play commentary! LOVED IT!

1 Like

I watched this VERY interesting documentary over the weekend.

This documentary examines the pervasive influence of algorithms in our lives and the potential harms they can cause due to the biases of their developers and users. Initially perceived as logical and unbiased, these algorithms make critical decisions about creditworthiness, social welfare eligibility, and even personal relationships, often without our awareness. The film highlights cases of real individuals who were impacted by these algorithms. These instances reveal that errors in algorithmic decision-making often stem from their human creators and clients, not the algorithms themselves.

I’m not sure how confident I am about the future.

Talking about unbiased, check out this dashboard:

1 Like