Privacy focused (feature) phones

Jose,

I haven’t seen you mention Volla OS anywhere.

What do you think of this project? Is it too much of a smartphone for you to be interested? Or do you find the launcher/springboard design to be minimalistic enough to be of interest?

I am intrigued/charmed by their unique software and design ideas.

At the least, it is certainly a privacy focused innovation, of a sort.

2 Likes

I like Volla for hardware. They allow to install other Linux distros and open it up so it’s really good. But their Volla OS is essentially AOSP modified so not a real draw for me especially for the price since I am in North America. I can just modify a Pixel 3/4 and install the same kind of private OS via Calyx or Graphene.

Overall it’s a great project though and I like where they are going!

1 Like

Ok, but the modifications are quite interesting to me, and geared towards minimalism.

I love the black+white design concept throughout.
I love the idea of grouping all communication with particular people together, regardless of the app used to communicate.
I love the springboard concept, which allows you to look things up online, send messages or emails, check the news, take a photo, etc, all without scrolling through the app screen.

All of these modifications are on top of the privacy focused features.

What about graphene and calyx? Are these in any way interesting models for actually using android? Any new, minimalist ideas embedded in them? Or simply de-googled?

1 Like