Predictive text is a must have!

I personally feel that it is absolutely essential to have some form of predictive text input. Whether it be T9 or something mudita cooks up it is absolutely necessary for the proper use of a phone nowadays. Texting with the old school tap tap tap number tap tap number tap number method is archaic, time consuming, and painstakingly tedious. Please add predictive text to the mudita pure.

8 Likes

is archaic, time consuming, and painstakingly tedious

Honestly, I think you’re being a bit dramatic here :grinning:

IDK, I turn off predictive text in my phone. I never used it and I don’t see the use for it.

The way I see it, the Mudita Pure is not meant to write a lot and to write it fast but rather the opposite. And my guess is this was a conscious desing decisition.

Cheers! :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Nirvana, you have a right to your opinion. In my opinion that statement you call dramatic is rather an understatement. The only reason I chose to put my money on this phone is the decision to go open source and therefore the possibility of adding in T9 later. Tap typing is just not fast enough to get anything but cryptic messages written.

3 Likes

I predict that there will be a lot of upset customers if predictive text is not Incorporated. This phone has the potential to be something great. Texting is something everybody does all the time in our current society. It is a quick way of sending a communication to somebody. With the old school method of text input people will no longer be able to send quick communications to each other and will more than likely end up going back to their smartphone or a feature phone that does offer predictive text

3 Likes

@kxkx Knowing the limitations of typing on a physical keyboard, we will also have a desktop app, which will allow you to type on your computer if you need to send a longer message. Since the MuditaOS is open source, like @thinkround stated, there is a possibility of adding T9 later. Either way, we will definitely try to make texting on Mudita Pure as comfortable as possible. Hopefully this helps.

5 Likes

I think that’s absolutely fantastic that you’ll be able to send longer messages from your computer. Though it is still going to be a pain to to send text messages when you are not by a computer.

2 Likes

So great to hear about the desktop plans!

Short messages are okay when underway, but people sometimes deserve a long thought out text as well.

2 Likes

Without some form of T9 or predictive text I will likely cancel my order and buy a feature phone that does offer it. Phone companies like Punkt, Sonim, and Light Phone already offer it and are cheaper than the pure. I also think that pushing the responsibility to develop T9 or predictive text onto the community in the name of “open source” is just shady business ethics. It feels like you’re trying to cut corners and save money by pushing the responsibility off to the community to develope it for you.

3 Likes

@kxkx I reached to our technical team to get a better understanding where we are at with predictive texting. We were testing different options because T9 is a patented technology- although some of the US patents have expired, I believe some of the international ones are still valid. I will get back to you as soon as I can with more info.

3 Likes

Thank you urszula! I appreciate your help on this. I really do feel that if you can have some sort of predictive text on the pure that it will be the greatest feature phone to have ever been made

3 Likes

@kxkx We’re definitely aiming for perfection. :slight_smile: My team confirmed that they are considering different options to the T9. As soon as I have more specifics, I will let you know.

2 Likes

I would really appreciate more directed information to these unexpired patents, where did you find those?

Keep up the good work!

2 Likes

Yes, I too would like to know more about these patents. Perhaps, together we can find a solution. :blush:

2 Likes

Also I was looking at the pure specs the other day and notice that it’s only got 16 MB of RAM. Do you think that this will be enough to power a predictive text engine?

2 Likes

@kxkx I looked at this site- and it looks like the Japanese patent expires this summer. https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?FT=D&date=19970226&DB=&locale=en_EP&CC=AU&NR=6714096A&KC=A&ND=1

1 Like

@kxkx I will ask my team members about the memory & I will get back to you with an answer.

1 Like

the Nokia 1110 has a MAD2WD1 chip with 13 MHz processor and 4 MB RAM, it’s T9 predictions are very snappy (no noticable delay at all)!

4 Likes

That sounds all very promising to me. Thanks for the insights!
I remember when I was a kid, 8MB RAM was enough to play Warcraft II on top of DOS, but Age of Empires didn’t run on my home computer because it needed at least 16MB of RAM on the system. It seems to me that T9 text input is far more realistic than Signal messenger with all its encryption protocols, especially when dealing with group chats…

2 Likes

I agree. I’m a broken record on the forum a bit, but IMHO a premium feature phone should aim not just to be minimalist/reductive, but most importantly: to be functional.

A utilitarian device that does essential tasks really well and efficiently so that you can use it less! It should have an efficient texting system, minimal clicks to navigate the mirror, easy calling/voicemail, calculator, GPS (one day), alarm clock, weather (IMO), flashlight, etc. It should be functionally distinct from your computer—doesn’t need a web browser, internet, social media, etc.

It should fundementally work as a tool. No distractions, no social media. Just problem solving. Nobody falls in love with their hammer.

5 Likes

This is an important feature and I remembered there was a very good open source prediction engine that could be used. It’s called Presage though it relies on the C++'s Standard Template Library. I’m looking forward to the dev program starting.

3 Likes