OS Extensibility

I really like the proposed hardware and I’d be willing to work on adding the features I’m missing in the OS myself.
At the moment, these are:

• lat/long display (assuming the work on adding an antenna was successful)
  • opus playback
  • matrix client
  • sip client (if not already present)

I have never done any embedded development, so I’m wondering if this is even feasible?

1 Like

Hi @pestdoktor and thank you for your enthusiasm! As soon as we open the source code you will be able to hop in and see for yourself. The things you enlisted here are definitely interesting, but far-fetched when it comes to the minimalistic scope of MuditaOS. Looks like something that you could work on with other community members.
All the best!

1 Like

Out of curiosity, if we look at the Matrix idea, wouldn’t that mean that the OS needs to be able to work with network packages besides being able to route them to the USB-C port? This might not even be present in the current OS as they actually don’t need packet parsing capabilities.

1 Like

Not sure if this is true, but I was thinking for VoLTE you need basic package parsing, so it should be implemented somehow in the OS. http://www.techplayon.com/volte-sip-methods-response-codes-and-their-descriptions:
In a VoLTE call SIP protocol is used to create, modify and terminate sessions, essentially negotiating a session between two users. SIP does not perform transport layer (delivering data) those are done by RTP/RTCP.

SIP is a sequential protocol with request/response similar to HTTP both in functionality and format.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that still require TCP/IP implementations inside the OS? So we’d have to write them. I’d be down for that as some kind of community fork, but it should be taken with caution. Networking in general, and especially low-level inside a kernel, have to be reviewed by multiple people to really make sure that there aren’t any (exploitable) problems.

1 Like