Offline Maps and Mudita Pay

This is a cool solution for the maps thing. It could be interesting to provide some education on how to get around with a minimal phone. I could see this being a YouTube video or something… or part of a walkthrough or FAQ or something like that to address the common question of Maps + GPS. A lot of these suggestions are people having a hard time with adjusting to a new way of doing things because they don’t know another way, haven’t looked or haven’t realized they don’t know that they don’t know. Being shown a new way could be a solution that helps people wean themselves off of what they’re currently doing a live with less, and feel more free. A little education could go a long way, if it’s in the company’s mission and scope + desires to pursue :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@moon9river Have you read the The Power of Place thread? We started talking about this a bit towards the end.

1 Like

I preffered nice offline maps

1 Like

If I recall right, some basic offline map was original kickstarter extended goal that was never reached.
Hope model 2 can do it, updated via app and computer, stoll offline

1 Like

Image from original Kickstarter

Sadly, that 350k was not reached … But yet, I hope such great idea could be done in Pure 2. I prefer once download (via Mudita center?) your local maps, use offline.

2 Likes

Signal messenger would have been huge for me since it’s my primary way of communicating with family and friends back home.

2 Likes

AS I understand, idea was just plain text messaging using SIGNAL open protocol - cheap mobile data text messaging, but yes, significant and good idea. Hope its still on table too, as way to conservatively use mobile data with no real net addiction, making it for SMS and as you say, enabling cheap International messaging.

2 Likes

If the Kompakt runs LineageOS or GrapheneOS (both AOSP-based, Google-apps-free operating systems), then I can install my preferred messenger, which is Session, and others can install their preferred messengers, such as Signal.

3 Likes

I’m familiar with GrapheneOS so that would definitely work well for me if it were implemented.

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing out to “Session”. Plenty of messaging today, I prefer Telegram for discussion and file transfer ease and Signal for privacy.
Two more weeks until we see what Kompakt is about. But surely, instant messaging there wont be that much of a problem.
Hope that idea of Signal or similar plain text messanger will not be abandoned for Pure 2 (as well as of offline maps, if doable as harder to do). It could be a bit better feature phone, hopefully.

2 Likes

Maps and payments should be two separate topics.

About payments:
We were discussing this recently in another forum concerning payments. My point was like this:
In my European country it is mandatory to have my id card with me at all times. Moreover, I need my driver’s license with me when I drive my car, which is frequent. Both cards are the size of a credit card. Consequentially I need to carry at least a card wallet with me, if not a regular wallet. If anyway I carry cards, I may as well also have my credit or debit card with me. Then why should my phone have a payment option?

Those people who really do not want to carry cards for some reason (and I also realize not all countries mandate to have your id with you) and also cannot pay by phone, you can look into many fintech companies who offer payments through wearables including watches, rings, bracelets, pendants etc.

1 Like

@nilss For me, maps are crucial because I travel a lot, so I need directions often & sometimes, there are language barriers.

I don’t disagree about maps. Especially since

• all public transportation companies decided to put their schedules in Google maps instead of building physical displays at the stations.
  • Paper maps are disappearing, too
  • Standalone satnavs don’t offer the same up to date data as Google Maps or even OSM

But my post was about payments :wink:

1 Like

@nilss I’ve never used my phone to make mobile payments. I don’t even have my bank app installed on my phone. I do everything on a desktop. That’s how I like it.

Same here! Cards and cash work for me to make payments on the go.

1 Like

I have used nfc banking on my iPhone. Since I went “back” to a dumbphone… I just used my cards again.

3 Likes