Hi there! The Mudita Pure might be the perfect phone for me, due to a few points which are the following:
- Limited features: Phone, SMS is all I really like, to not get distracted as much as I am with an iPhone.
- 4G since 3G and 2G are discontinued in different regions
- As little tech as possible on the PCB (no GPS sensor, no Bluetooth preferrably) due to security concerns. IT security is my field of study and work & any wireless technology I can avoid, I’d prefer to avoid. Especially the lack of GPS is important to me due to tracking, however such a sensor could be ‘tamed’ by an open source OS that I can audit and make sure the GPS data stays on-device.
- Long battery life (often my phone battery dies and I can’t get phone calls)
- Sustainability (replaceable battery, sturdy build, not a new version coming every year, somehow forcing you to upgrade)
- Open Source OS - no Android!! I hate how Google has basically full knowledge of what you are doing and when - and by extension any government or big company that pays the necessary $$.
So, as you can see, for me it’s mostly about being less connected, privacy & security and sustainability. I don’t share any concerns about radiation effects on the body that you guys are promoting, but it’s not an issue for me either if this phone emits less EMF. For instance, you’re saying that EMF is the reason we have to turn on airplane mode on planes; however it’s been proven that today it’s not really needed anymore. Oh well, that’s a different topic
My main question today is about the sustainability aspect actually: is there already a v2 planned? On “next steps” on your home page it seems you are working on a smartphone / touch screen phone first? Since the Pure is your first phone, I hope it will be supported with updates for a long time and not just used as a “beta test” and a much better & improved version coming out a year afterwards. Are you planning on a v2 yet at all?
Since I mentioned software updates, a small question: can we build the firmware ourselves and flash the phone with it or does it need a digital signature from your team?
Thanks in advance!