Mudita Pure v2?

Hi there! The Mudita Pure might be the perfect phone for me, due to a few points which are the following:

• Limited features: Phone, SMS is all I really like, to not get distracted as much as I am with an iPhone.
  • 4G since 3G and 2G are discontinued in different regions
  • As little tech as possible on the PCB (no GPS sensor, no Bluetooth preferrably) due to security concerns. IT security is my field of study and work & any wireless technology I can avoid, I’d prefer to avoid. Especially the lack of GPS is important to me due to tracking, however such a sensor could be ‘tamed’ by an open source OS that I can audit and make sure the GPS data stays on-device.
  • Long battery life (often my phone battery dies and I can’t get phone calls)
  • Sustainability (replaceable battery, sturdy build, not a new version coming every year, somehow forcing you to upgrade)
  • Open Source OS - no Android!! I hate how Google has basically full knowledge of what you are doing and when - and by extension any government or big company that pays the necessary $$.

So, as you can see, for me it’s mostly about being less connected, privacy & security and sustainability. I don’t share any concerns about radiation effects on the body that you guys are promoting, but it’s not an issue for me either if this phone emits less EMF. For instance, you’re saying that EMF is the reason we have to turn on airplane mode on planes; however it’s been proven that today it’s not really needed anymore. Oh well, that’s a different topic :wink:

My main question today is about the sustainability aspect actually: is there already a v2 planned? On “next steps” on your home page it seems you are working on a smartphone / touch screen phone first? Since the Pure is your first phone, I hope it will be supported with updates for a long time and not just used as a “beta test” and a much better & improved version coming out a year afterwards. Are you planning on a v2 yet at all?

Since I mentioned software updates, a small question: can we build the firmware ourselves and flash the phone with it or does it need a digital signature from your team?

Thanks in advance!

5 Likes

@unixb0y Thank you for taking the time to share your ideas with us. As you probably already know, we take feedback very seriously & we look to implement the features that our community finds the most useful. I’m passing you light onto our team. Stay tuned, we have many exciting things planned for the future.

4 Likes

In another way, talking about the pure 2 while the 1 hasn’t been shiped already is a bit of a problem for me. It seems embrasse the idea of constent new products and obsolescence… not very ecologycal.

4 Likes

This is exactly why I’m asking lol. Ok I’m “talking about it” but just to find out if something like that is planned or no (if yes; it doesn’t seem indeed very ecological - also depending on how far it is developed - if something is planned to replace the Mudita Pure)…

2 Likes

A new phone focusing on people with different needs, completely unrelated to Mudita Pure, would be more logical.

3 Likes

Mudita Pure is an excellent phone for those who seek a minimalistic phone. For me personally it’s a bit too minimalistic to be useful as my primary phone (I don’t want to use a secondary phone).

May I suggest to create a second phone in your product line that has the following features:

• E-ink screen (of course).
  • Designed like BlackBerry 8800: not too big and with physical keyboard. It has to fit in a jeans back pocket (nothing sticking out and still be able to sit …).
  • Long lasting battery. Something like a week (at least) with +/- 60 minutes screen/call time per day. I hate most phones that have to be charged every 1-2 days. I don’t mind phones being a bit thick so that a larger battery can be used.
  • “Battery Beep”. Nowadays most phones don’t warn you that the battery is almost empty, unless you look at the screen. A beep every X minutes would help without having to look at the screen.
  • GPS navigation. Something like the Light Phone 2 has.
  • Locating family members with GPS location (like Find my “Person” on iOS).
  • Photo camera for decent daylight pictures (eg. something like 4-5 MP). I don’t need video recording. Also showing pictures on the screen is not a must for me (only shooting the picture). Would be difficult with an e-ink screen …
  • Podcast support.
  • Nice to have: support for streaming audio service (like Spotify or Deezer).
  • No Google software/services like Google Maps and Android.

I would immediately buy such a phone; no matter the price (if it’s under 800 euro, that is :wink: …).

2 Likes

To be honest, 1 week of usage with just 60 min screen time should be doable with a smartphone. The issue is that most people have like 4-6h of screen time daily…

Well, even in stand-by mode a modern smart phone will not last a few days with only 10 minutes screen time. My screen time is about 50-60 minutes with an iPhone. I have to charge it every 2 days. I’m lucky if it will last 2,5 days.

1 Like

Oh interesting, then they actually draw a ton in standby. Never really monitored it as closely as you.

1 Like

At least in my experience. Android is even worse.

2 Likes

Here are some features I would like to see in Version 2

• WiFi
  • LTE Support
  • CalDAV Sync Support (Sync with Calenders like Nextcloud)
  • CarDAV Sync Support (Sync with Address books like Nextcloud)
  • VOIP / SIP Phone Support (To Connect to PBXes and VOIP Providers)
    This would also be a big selling point for business phone replacements like Polycom, Grandstream, etc Desk Phones. I would love to replace my desk phone with a Mudita.
  • WiFi Syncing with Mudita Desktop Application
1 Like

The Pure still not support sync with caldav and cardav (nextcloud alike) ? I thought that was ok ?

1 Like