Meditation timer

I don’t meditate. And I do not want the app on my dumb phone. Is there any possibilty to change the “Meditation” app to a normal timer? In order to meet the interests of all potential customers.

Right now it is like the company only wants to attract meditating people.

Or is it possible for me to delete this app?

5 Likes

@ummdardaa You can always use it as a countdown timer for anything else you like to do. For example, I’ve used it while exercising or while preparing for a presentation to make sure I don’t exceed the time limit.

3 Likes

Is this for Surah 3:85 purposes? :woman_with_headscarf::heart: To the extent of my knowledge, the meditation timer is presented without trappings of any particular religion or practice, and the sampled bell isn’t a sacred object. I have one just like it (a bowl chime) in my window sill. That’s not to say how you should feel about it.

However, just so you know, the name “Mudita” (मुदिता) does have a buddhist connotation. It’s one of the four buddhist virtues (चत्वारो ब्रह्मविहारा). It means “joy”, specifically sympathetic joy for others’ well-being. Without being reductive I see kind of some amount of parallel to the زكاة pillar of charity. (One of my faves, my mind was pretty blown when I first heard about it, since I grew up secular and materialistic.)

If this is uncomfortable I can respect that. You’re not obligated to explain further, although you’ve made me very curious and I’d love to hear more about your perspective on this stuff.

4 Likes

Additionally, Mudita’s logo, which is engraved on the back of the phone and is used as the icon for the app (although not visible in the app itself) is reminiscent of a lotus flower.

2 Likes

As for me, before the pandemic, I led a (vaguely 曹洞宗 inspired/appropriated) 只管打坐-style meditation group in a Christian church, a weird syncretic church with the قِبْلَة marked on the floor in one of the chapel annexes (for those who wanted to pray as the prophet (PBUH) instructed). Pretty great. Uh, I get that this is also problematic and messed up. I just can’t help it. Everything else in my city is noise and destruction, while working with religion is peace and insight. Not sure what the best path is. I don’t have a lot of questions that make sense, I’m just drawn to the practice. Please let me know what you find out :heart:

1 Like

@ummdardaa Meditation does not necessarily have to be religion-based. It could be a time for reflection or just to take a break during the day & practice mindfulness.

5 Likes

I might use it as a pomodoro timer :wink:

5 Likes

You can change the application if you don’t like the settings; I think you can also change it in the privacy settings in the application. I’m not too fond of it, but I found out how we can change or stop the sound on YouTube. If you want, I’ll find this video and send it to you; just reply to me if it’s relevant to you now. I like meditation too, and recently, I have done it every single day because I have many problems in my personal life and want to be in a good mood and don’t give up. There is another great thing that helps me to be positive and energized, it’s First Church Love. My friends support me there, and I know that God will help me to go through this.

1 Like

Buddhism isnt really a religion, so in essence as presented body posture it is, and it is not. You are both right and wrong my friend

2 Likes