Let's talk about the Metaverse

The topic of the Metaverse has fascinated me for some time. When I say “fascinated,” I actually mean “freaked me out.” Does anyone else have the feeling that the virtual shared space where users can interact in a simulated environment, has the potential to raise a number of societal concerns?
I’m mostly concerned about the issues related to privacy and security, as well as the impact on social interactions and relationships. Additionally, there may be concerns about the potential for addiction and negative effects on mental health, as well as the possibility that the metaverse could exacerbate existing inequalities and social divisions.
What are your thoughts on the Metaverse?

1 Like

Based on these phrases from you, @urszula, the “Metaverse” already exists:

• users can interact in a simulated environment
  • number of societal concerns
  • issues related to privacy and security
  • impact on social interactions and relationships
  • potential for addiction
  • negative effects on mental health
  • exacerbate … social divisions

It’s called social media!

4 Likes
3 Likes

Meta’s chief product officer says the metaverse will one day be as ‘important as the smartphone’.

2 Likes

We’re in for a world of trouble if it does come to that. Let’s hope not.

2 Likes

The discussion about the future of AI is also giving some practical examples:

1 Like

Yesterday, I read a really interesting article in The Atlantic & it it was totally on point- We’re already in the Metaverse.

Although the article is behind a paywall, you can listen to it. Great narration :slight_smile:

The situations described in the article are really mind-blowing. I highly encourage everyone to read it.

1 Like