Hypothetical Signal messenger features

Telegram is now off my list for consideration, given this news:

3 Likes

It is incredible the levels of control that governments want to keep “for our safety.”

Even though it is not in my country, I’ll be attentive to the next moves since Telegram is my main personal and business (channel) messenger.

4 Likes

I used to use Wickr Me, but then I found out that its parent company is Amazon, and it lost all the charm for me. I gotta check out some other options.

3 Likes

Telegram is easier to use, and just works better.
Signal is said to be more secure.
The Punkt phone uses Signal… :wink:

2 Likes

@Marcin_Hakemer-Ferna Thanks for the suggestion.

3 Likes

i feel the answer is to do what light phone is doing by january light phone will have out a 3rd party developer SDK where people can make simple 3rd party tools for the light phone so all kinds of chat apps can be made and people just choose the one their friends and family use and grab that one

3 Likes

@urszula: Am I looking in the wrong place? I still see only the original specs:

1 Like

@kirkmahoneyphd Let me ask my team. I believe they confirmed that they would make updates.

1 Like

@urszula: Did you see this news?

1 Like

@roberto Oh :poop: sh$it

So there’s two ways I could understand this question:
One is why use Signal or Telegram over other messenger apps.
The other is why use messenger apps at all when you have a phone that can do text messages.

I think ther* e’s a enough voices answering the first version, but if I take the other version:

• Where I live (Austria) international calling packages are very limited and expensive. My professional network is very spread out internationally and being able to call people wherever is really important. Messenger apps fill a really obvious gap here. Also none of my family live here, so keeping in touch with them is also made so much more possible by messengers.

• I have often experienced SMS just not arriving, both sending and receiving them. This has sometimes literally led to blow ups with my partner where someone is really upset at an important message being overlooked (and it, for some reason, mainly seems to happen when the message was actually important - which is pretty rare).

So that’s it - you know whether its arrived or not, you can call your friends/family/colleagues wherever in the world.

But if I take the first version of the question - I mainly use WhatsApp, but I am considering using Signal more, not because I prefer it in any way, but because MOST OF MY NETWORK USE IT. When I first heard about Signal I signed up only to find that (at the time) NO-ONE I knew used it, so I deleted it. Recently I found that approx. 90% of my contacts on WhatsApp use Signal too.

But basically, I distrust Facebook, I am uneasy using one of their products, but in the end I have to accept, to some degree, whatever the common network is. Now Signal is viable for me, before it was not. But these less well known, niche products are off the table for now.

Another final thing - I would be reluctant to use more than 1 or 2 of these products. I am trying to minimise, and it really does add a cognitive drain to keep up with two platforms instead of one.

Matrix (and maybe Wire) might be better alternative - we don’t have to rely on a grace of some foundation: the protocols are standardized, client implementations are readily available and security features like E2EE are on par with Signal.

1 Like

+1 for Matrix (as long as it doesn’t rely on the default @matrix.org server). I don’t trust Wire.

1 Like

+1 for Session. They are the future of private, anonymous conversation with no metadata being broadcast. Voice capability coming soon.

The current iteration of Pure does not fit my privacy needs. It’s certainly the best phone on the market but the simple act of making and receiving voice calls and SMS via phone carrier networks is not secure or anonymous. Your threat model may vary.

2 Likes

Quick facts about Session for those who wish to know more:

Session is a private messaging app that protects your metadata, encrypts your communications, and makes sure your messaging activities leave no digital trail behind.

Conversations in Session are end-to-end encrypted, just as in most private messengers. However, when you use Session, the identities of the people communicating are also protected. Session keeps your communication private, secure, and anonymous.

When using Session, your messages are sent to their destinations through a decentralised onion routing network similar to Tor (with a few key differences), using a system we call onion requests. Onion requests protect user privacy by ensuring that no single server ever knows a message’s origin and destination.

You don’t need a mobile number or an email to make an account with Session. Your display name can be your real name, an alias, or anything else you like.

Session does not collect any geolocation data, metadata, or any other data about the device or network you are using.

4 Likes

Session does look promising but is a work in progress.

I mostly use email so that I can talk to anyone :heart:
I don’t have to convince them to join a specific network.
Autocrypt has its flaws but is easy.

As for an app SDK… the easiest way to make an app is to add it to the OS itself; that’s what the apps are. Classes in the same binary. This system is so lightweight.

Calls and texts are certainly eaves drop city, but, they (along with tethering), is why I need a phone. People (doctors, deliveries, tax office) are gonna call and text and that’s not gonna change.

It’s not like Mudita Pure with its limited keyboard is gonna be chat central any time soon. If it can handle a voip protocol, that’d be great, but… what I need to have is a phone, for calls and SMS and tethering. The three things a computer can’t do.

4 Likes

^ Same here!

1 Like

https://delta.chat/en/ same and that turns emails into chats so this way it looks like a whatsapp telkegram etc chat app but it uses email this way as you say you dont have to convince them to join a specific network

https://delta.chat/en/help#what-is-delta-chat

3 Likes

Yep :heart:
Delta Chat is awesome

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I wanted to start a discussion on the possibility of integrating messaging apps like Telegram and Matrix into Mudita OS. With the growing popularity of privacy-focused communication tools, it would be great to have a way to use these apps on Mudita’s minimalist phone.

Telegram and Matrix are both open-source messaging platforms that offer end-to-end encryption and support for group chats, file sharing, and voice/video calls. They have a growing user base and are increasingly being used as alternatives to popular messaging apps like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.

I believe that integrating these apps into Mudita OS would not only expand its functionality but also align with Mudita’s values of privacy and minimalism. It would give Mudita users the option to stay connected with their contacts without compromising their privacy.

I would love to hear what others think about this idea and if it’s something that Mudita is considering. Let’s discuss the potential benefits and challenges of integrating these apps into Mudita OS and any other ideas for expanding Mudita’s features while staying true to its minimalist philosophy.

Looking forward to hearing from the Mudita community!

3 Likes