High SAR version?

@urszula @Bartosz_sp2fet

Is there any chance that I (or other customers) could order a high SAR version of the mudita pure phone, on purpose?

I really don’t care anything about the SAR value. Also, from what I understand, if you would simply allow my phone to use the data signal I pay for, other things would be possible, like syncing messages to the Mudita Center desktop app, or using the phone as a hotspot. Isn’t that correct?

Couldn’t you allow customers to decide whether low-SAR is something that they are really craving? I know some customers love that aspect, but I would really rather the data signal I pay for be more useful.

2 Likes

Data usage (LTE or otherwise) would not be able to be used with a High SAR version on the Pure. The Pure is intentionally offline, it’s the OS design that is limiting the LTE or other data functionality, not the SAR

If you want to use data on the Pure, you’d have to fork the OS and modify it. After that, you’ll have to create a way to flash onto the Mudita and use it that way. This would probably void the warranty since you’ll modifying the original OS, but it would accomplish what you want with the Pure as the hardware.

The other features are not coming on the Mudita center as of right now, so you’ll need to fork that too and modify it to use with the syncing. Also, a syncing server and system to do it with the Pure (probably writing a new messaging server app).

4 Likes

I am not a software engineer. I couldn’t write the code necessary.

But, if this phone is open source, could someone write the necessary code to make an online version of Mudita?

Why is the OS blocking LTE? Isn’t that part of the SAR issue?

2 Likes

Yes. Technically someone can fork the OS and flash it on the Mudita hardware and make the OS communicate online with servers, apps, etc.

It would take time and resources, but it’s technically possible.

No. SAR has to do with how much radiation the phone produces. This does not affect the type of connectivity of the phone, in this case Mudita uses an LTE modem so it can connect voice and text messages via the LTE bands of your local carrier.

The reason why the phone cannot use data to do the functions you mentioned above is because Mudita OS is intentionally offline. They designed the OS to be offline and to not have extra capabilities that need data such as streaming services, social media, instant messengers, maps, etc.

The phone is intended to be a limited device only with offline tools and that’s it. Can Mudita make the phone an online OS? Yes. But that’s not what they made the device for. So most likely they will make a phone in the future that’s more online, but the Pure is intended to be offline only.

Again, if you are looking for the connected features, you can find other devices that would meet your needs (check the Dumbphone finder on my website) or you could fork the OS, modify it to your liking, build the infrastructure, and then flash onto the Mudita.

Even if someone was willing to do this from the open source code and do it under the same branch without forking, Mudita would have to approve it for all devices. This is something that they may decide to think about, but as of right now the phone is offline and it remains to be offline for the foreseeable future.

I personally like that the Mudita is offline and I know many others do too. It’s in its own niche, a proper basic phone without any extras and just the basics most people need.

4 Likes

Another argument I would present regarding the Pure is simply, “even if you don’t care about SAR, given the choice between a high-SAR phone and an identical low-SAR phone, why wouldn’t you want the low-SAR version?”.

As said above, the SAR rating doesn’t affect whether it can access data services or not. It’s literally just how much radiation ends up in you instead of the cell tower. Even if the amounts of energy involved are so low they don’t matter, why would you specifically WANT to microwave your head?

The Pure could theoretically access data services, but the operating system specifically doesn’t contain a networking stack. That’s a conscious decision.

The Pure can still (almost) act as a hotspot: Plug it into your computer, and your computer just sees a modem. You then access the net on your computer, using your computer’s networking stack, and your carrier’s APN settings (which you input into your computer not the phone), and use the Pure’s cellular connection for computer data.

The pure can’t act as an actual hotspot because it doesn’t have Wi-Fi. I really hope the developers eventually implement bluetooth tethering, because that’d be almost the same thing (albeit much slower) - but at present, if you want your Pure to provide internet to another device, you’ve got to use a good ol’fashioned cable.

I’m at a bit of a loss as to why people want the pure to be more online etc. Its offline nature and low-SAR are its reason for being. I’m all for consumer choice, but if you want a phone with “smart” features, there are lots of smartphones on the market. The Pure is intended for a different niche. To use a car analogy, you don’t by a V8 if you’re worried about fuel consumption, and you don’t buy an EV if you want stickshift and a V8 rumble.

That said, I can see a real gap in the market for a slightly smarter phone with e-ink display, low SAR and good battery life. Maybe even e-ink KaiOS and Android devices.

2 Likes

The prospect of typing out messages on the keypad sucks. This is my biggest concern.

I would never have bought the Mudita Pure without the Mudita center existing. If i can type out longer messages in the center, as needed, that’s a huge draw for this phone.

But since buying the phone, I’ve learned through this forum that:

1. The center app won’t work on my iPad.
  2. Messages written through the center will not cloud sync to the phone.

So, this means that I essentially will need to keep my phone plugged into my computer all the time, which feels silly, but will be necessary to properly use the Mudita Center app.

As for the hotspot, the biggest issue is connectivity to the iPad, as already mentioned. I can go without GPS on the phone and without the ability to look up things on the internet, because i can use my iPad for those functions while out of the house. I would prefer to use the mobile data that is unlimited on my phone plan to run the internet on the iPad. But, without the capacity to use the pure as a hotspot (or even cable to iPad) then this fails, too.

In sum, my grievances here have to do with how limited the functionality is. It feels too excessive to me. If doing without the capacity for a data hotspot has nothing to do with SAR, then what is the aim of that decision?

1 Like

The aim for low SAR is mainly for health reasons. That’s why they made it that way. A Wi-Fi module would have increased the SAR most likely, but not sure about that 100%

3 Likes