Good reads and recommended books

I f ound a interesting book the other day; 100 things we’ve lost to the internet.

It is a series of essays, remembering the days before internet and how things have changed.

Has anyone here read it?

I’m currently reading Sherri Turkles “Alone together, why we expect more from technology than each other”

Do you have a book you want to recommend on the topic of digital detox, simplifying life or just a general upbuilding topic - put it down below

7 Likes
  • Simplify, by Richard Koch and Greg Lockwood
  • Deep Work, by Cal Newport
  • Stolen Focus, by Johann Hari
5 Likes

Thanks! I disagree with one of those: the ability to ignore people. Many smartphone owners use the Internet as a way to look for minutes at their smartphones and thereby to ignore people in their presence. So, I’d argue that smartphone users, at least, have NOT lost the ability to ignore people.

2 Likes

I recently read Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World by Cal Newport and I found it very interesting! Another one I really liked it’s called “Cronofagia”, but it’s only in Italian I think

5 Likes

A book that I always recommend to my students is a book that impacted my whole career and some views: “The Human Zoo” by Desmond Morris.

3 Likes

I am definitely putting “Alone together” on my TO READ list!
I like books, that are bringing some value to my personal development, so I can recommend the following books:

• “Ego is the enemy” - Ryan Holiday (my absolute top1, great perspective shift)
  • “The obstacle is the way” - Ryan Holiday
  • “The subtle art of not giving a f*ck” - Mark Manson
  • “Principles” - Ray Dello

Those are not touching the “digital detox” subject per se, but are much more focused on approaching things like rituals, habits, prioritizing, and developing self-discipline.

4 Likes

I love book recommendations! I’m currently reading Ten Arguments for Deleting Your Social Media Accounts Right Now by Jaron Lanier

5 Likes

@anna270 Thanks for the recommendation. This looks like a very interesting book.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll get one soon because I’m curious about how the author could only write ten arguments. I have an extensive list of them, including bizarre ones. Perhaps, the most important I would mention is how refreshing it is to find out who really cares about you. :smiley:

1 Like

Currently reading “Four thousand weeks - Time and how to use it” by Oliver Burkeman.
Very good!

2 Likes

This is a fantastic book which just came out:
It’s basically everything we’ve been discussing here on this forum, but it’s put in more stark terms

3 Likes

Thank you, @urszula. I’m sure it will be one more great resource for the 100+ bibliography I’m researching for the book I’m writing about the Social (Human) Animal, whose matrix will be an article I wrote 13 years ago and a slight update two years ago about the “virtual” world. The Social (Human) Animal - Roberto Barata

2 Likes

Yes, I would be happy to recommend a book on the topic of digital detox and simplifying life. One book that I think you may find helpful is “Digital Minimalism” by Cal Newport.

4 Likes

@mindfulmarket Welcome to the Mudita Community! We’re glad you’re here!

2 Likes