eBook Reader for Mudita Pure

Hi there,
Reading books on the go with no distractions using the Mudita Pure phone would be a fantastic feature to have, and a really good incentive to purchase the phone. No need for a second e-Reader in my bag. I could then stare at my phone during my commute, but hey I would be reading a book instead of browsing the web!
Given the small screen of the Mudita Pure, each page of an eBook would display 1/4 or less of a full page. Turning pages could be manual (e.g. pressing a button) or automated (e.g. every 5 seconds, adjustable to the speed at which every person reads).
Would you consider this as a native app? I’m pretty sure the open source community would help make this happen too. Thoughts?

9 Likes

@adn Welcome to the Mudita Community! E-book readers are GREAT. I would love to hear from other community members if they would consider using the Pure as an E-book reader- considering the display is 2.84in(7.2136cm) vs just listening to audio books. Let me know what you guys think.

8 Likes

I think this is a great idea! At first I was skeptical, since I thought the screen would be too small, so I went ahead and loaded a random book from project Gutenberg and projected it on my browser screen in a viewfinder window of resolution 480x640 and made sure the window would be exactly 43 mm wide and 58 mm high to mimic the screen of the MuditaPure as closely as possible. Since my screen has a much lower ppi than the e ink screen, my screenshots are actually only half the resolution (at approximately 135 ppi), but nevertheless I find it appealing to read text at this size:

I prefer the landscape mode though:
Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 13.55.30
This made me wonder if some simple grayscale pictures would look ok on the screen and I am actually quite amazed by the aesthetic feeling of 4-bit grayscale:

Here is another picture at 480x640 pixel with 4-bit grayscale:

I guess, the whites won’t be as white and the blacks won’t be as dark on an e-ink screen, but there is actually lot of space for display of information on this size screen!

5 Likes

I still prefer devices dedicated to reading (Kindle, Kobo, Nook, etc.), just as I prefer a device dedicated to calling and texting (Mudita Pure).

4 Likes

@thinkround Personally, I would prefer a physical book to reading a text this small. But that’s just me…I love the smell of books…the crinkle of the paper is what does it for me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree. There’s something special about holding a physical book. But digital versions are beneficial to the environment. And e ink devices for reading are probably one of the best options.

1 Like

@artistinct E ink is definitely a game changer when it comes to digital reading devices. I could never read on an LCD/LED screen for more than a few minutes. My eyes would hate me. We recently posted an article discussing the benefits of E ink- check it out: https://mudita.com/community/blog/the-eyestrain-debate/

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Yeah blue light on devices can really affect our eyes. I’ve had the warmer red night time mode on my phone turned on for years. But still , like you said, I can’t read on a smartphone that long. Great article!

1 Like

@artistinct Thank you! I really appreciate it!

2 Likes

Hi! I would love both, use the Pure as an e-book reader and listening to audiobooks too, but the one that is the winner for me, is the ebook reader, since Mudita has an E-ink Display. Thanks!

2 Likes

I would also use Pure as an eBook reader, although, for those looking for something like this, the Xiaomi Moaan Inkpad could fit the bill! Also, the Hisense A5 and its updated models could also be of interest.

1 Like

An ebook reader is far far beyond the scope of this project, even Amazon can’t get the kindle right.
Personally, I would be happy if the Mudita team were able to get the promised features bug-free. The more complicated the project the more bugs that will need to be addressed.

5 Likes

Kobo is a brilliant service IMO, I am not really sure what they could do better.

1 Like

For me, the fewer bells and whistles you add to the Pure, the more likely I’m going to be to go through with buying one. The Pure has the potential to be the best just a phone on the market, and that is the only thing I want from it. Save all the “cool additions”—including an eReader—for a future Mudita Compromise (shush, yous! I’ve always been terrible at titling things!) addition to the product range, and leave the Pure to be what it says on the tin.

2 Likes

I would absolutely love to see the Pure be able to be used as an e reader. I would also use it for audio books, too, but I think that is already a possibility, isn’t it?

1 Like

depends on if it is open source or what type of reader it will be - audio books - I used to read books on iphone 3 and poetry and the app would scroll for each sentence in the screen… the newer iphones change the app to e reader model and I did not read on the iphone 4 because of the app change.

1 Like

@MrJSMConley You will be able to load audiobooks unto the Mudita Pure. Personally, for me, the screen of the Pure is not big enough to use as an eBook reader. But, that’s just me. I still prefer physical books. I like the crinkle of the page :slight_smile: and the smell of the paper :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@urszula, never thought I would find people who feel this. Mee tooo. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@harshuuu29 I think we’re a dying breed :smiley:

2 Likes