Do you currently use a dumb phone?

It so nice to read that some one still has a Blackberry :slight_smile: I love my Blackberry. Itā€™s definitely less distracting than a conventional smartphone. Yes, it still has the internet & there is a potential for distractions, but itā€™s definitely less distracting than a traditional smartphone.

2 Likes

I use a Nokia 6.1 and Iā€™ve learned to dumb it down as much as possible and keep other things on my iPad where I do my freelance work. On my android I have the minimal Olauncher and removed tons of apps that arenā€™t necessary. Considered getting a Nokia feature phone until I can get the Pure but I may hold off until I can get the Pure and be done :+1:

2 Likes

Nokia 225 4G, as of a few days ago.

2 Likes

@corgan Was this a cold-turkey switch from a smartphone? Or was this something that happened over time?

1 Like

Punkt MP01 for calls, Sony nw-a105 musicplayer for entertainment. Where I live it has just been confirmed that the 2g network will be maintained to at least -okt 2025. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, I just canā€™t put up with T9 texting or the lack of Messenger services like Whatsapp, which unfortunately everyone and their mother use where I live.
However, I tried to use an old iPhone 4s, which I purchased in used condition, where I disabled the Browser, the App Store and Email. So I only have access to the bare necessities.
Unfortunately, I could not see it through for long. After a while the inconveniences of having an old and outdated device and the craving for instant access to information just became too strong.
Maybe it is time for a dumb phone challenge. At least for a while, I could try to live without.

1 Like

@spongothedongo I live a two-phone life. I have a smartphone for work, however, when I need to disconnect, I use a 7-yr-old Blackberry. It does have access to the internet, however, the browser is so cumbersome, that I canā€™t bother dealing with it. If someone needs me, then can call or text- otherwise, Iā€™ll get back to them when I good & ready. You have no idea how freeing it is to not be tied down by technology. If going ā€œcold-turkeyā€ is a bit too challenging, I do recommend trying the two-phone lifestyle & see which one you like best.

3 Likes

@urszula before I buy a second phone- I am actually trying to dumb-down my android. I have removed most of the unnecessary apps. I did leave the Google maps app. I actually think itā€™s pretty necessary.

3 Likes

In preparation for the Mudita, I made the first plunge and switched my sim over to the sturdy Kyocera flip phone. It is quite clunky, lol :sweat_smile: I figured going from this to the mudita would be a pleasant and easier exchange, than from a sleek smartphone. So far, it is going okay. The phone is so heavy I barely keep it on me, so I guess part of my goal of staying off my phone is already working. :laughing:

3 Likes

I currently use a Doro 5517 dumbphone, but, it can call using 3g which is great because I donā€™t get any reception on GSM. I also have a tablet though. I wrote about my dumbphone experience, here.

2 Likes

Hello I also had this phone but telegram wasnā€™t usable at the timeā€¦ It 's a good phone. But, unfortunatly, iā€™m not very good with hackingā€¦

Good to see therā€™s some progress there with kaiOS.

1 Like

One thing that convinced me to switch for a mudita pure is that theyā€™ll bring a app where you can write longer message. That brings me to tell you my plan to switch from my smartphone to the mudita :

-Longer message if needed, from the mudita desktop app.
-Telegram on desktop (donā€™t know if signal on desktop will still work if my smartphone is disconnect)
-Every thing on laptop : bank, news, mail etcā€¦
-Maybe keep the smartphone somwhere to use it for travels if I donā€™t want to bring the laptop at all. (Iā€™m a doublebass player. Thereā€™s enough to caryā€¦ the lighter it isā€¦)

Whatā€™s your opinion ?
philippe.

3 Likes

Nokia 225 4G ā€“ switching to it this weekend from an Android-7 LG Stylo 3 Plus that I dumbed down ~two months ago to match what seems to be the Mudita Pure ā€œhome screenā€

The news this week that the launch of Mudita Pure is now set for November, 2021, instead of next month (April), plus a couple of Christmas gift-cards and @corganā€™s mention of the Nokia 225 4G, pushed me to consider and to switch to the Nokia now.

I looked at several feature phones, but almost none of them support 4G/LTE, which I need on the AT&T network here in the USA. I considered getting an unlocked Jethro SC490, for which the marketing materials look much like the marketing materials for the Mudita Pure. But, the Nokia 225 4G is smaller, less expensive, and GPS-&-Android-free. Populating the Nokiaā€™s calendar may be problematic, but this video shows a Bluetooth way to import contacts from my Android phone.

The Nokia has a camera, a Facebook app, and a Snakes game, none which I plan to use. Otherwise, it should provide good ā€œpracticeā€ while waiting for Mudita to launch the Pure!

UPDATE:

Having now worked with the Nokia 225 4G for two days, I can say that the Mudita desktop app will be ESSENTIAL for maintaining ā€œsynchronization sanityā€ with the Mudita Pure! The Mudita desktop app will set the Mudita Pure apart from all other feature phones! Meanwhile, I am returning the Nokia 225 4G to the retailer for a refund, as the lack of synchronization with contacts, calendar, and podcasts is maddening.

I have returned to using my dumbed-down Android phone and will continue to look forward to the November launch of the Mudita Pure!

BOTTOM LINE: Without the promise of the Mudita desktop app, I would cancel my order for the Mudita Pure and continue with my Android phone.

4 Likes

About 2 weeks ago I purchased an unopened Nokia 3310 3g to start and wean off of my smartphone. My iPhone was getting in the way of everything. I really was starting to see not much purpose in it anymore since I work from my iPad Pro.

I did find myself at time browsing on my iPhone after work which I didnā€™t like I was still doing and Iā€™m still working on that.
But my Nokia 3310 goes with me every time I go out. I put music on it and I put music in the iPhone (no sim inside).

Iā€™m awaiting the Nuu F4L flip phone so I can use as my only mobile phone/device. When it arrives, Iā€™ll set it up and be ready to put the iPhone away and have a full test to see how it goes. I think Iā€™m literally going to lock away my iPhone lol.
If all goes well, which I think it will, I plan on selling my iPhone SE.

It just feels so much better without the iPhone around and just having a basic phone. I think the body is affected differently and itā€™s a great feeling.

2 Likes

My Samsung GT-E1200 (a.k.a. Samsung Guru) serves me quite well. It has T9 SMS input, itā€™s extremely durable and reliable, the battery lasts weeks, and itā€™s just a phone with no extraneous features. The audio quality isnā€™t amazing, but itā€™s good enough not to get in the way even for lengthy conversations with friends. The only major complaint I have is that its SMS storage capacity is quite limitedā€”125 messagesā€”and it uses the antiquated, inferior inbox/outbox model rather than conversation threads. Itā€™s also a 2G device, which isnā€™t slated to be a problem here in the near future, but obviously would be a problem for people in some locales.

2 Likes

Just curious, does anyone here use a Blackberry?

2 Likes

Not currently but I used to use a Bold 9700

1 Like

I got a Sonim XP3 Quest recently for a staggering 35$. Well known for being close to indestructable, it will fit our outdoor hiking life this summer. But whats really interesting is the batterylife, 18 hrs of talk or 1500hrs of standbyā€¦ Thats 62.5 daysā€¦ :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s one rugged looking phone! Kinda reminds me of the Nextel phones back in the day. How long have you had it?

I have a Blackberry Q10 (from 2013) and I LOVE IT!

2 Likes