Do you currently use a dumb phone?

That’s one rugged looking phone! Kinda reminds me of the Nextel phones back in the day. How long have you had it?

I have a Blackberry Q10 (from 2013) and I LOVE IT!

2 Likes

I’m eyeing the Elari NanoPhone until the release of Pure.

1 Like

@forrest That is an interesting looking phone.

I had a look on Amazon, the reviews are mostly negative, unfortunately. Too bad, it seemed like a nice device.

1 Like

About a week. I need to upload some ring tones on it, it only has one, and it’s a very unpleasant one. I guess it’s for the construction workers, to cut through all the noise.I prefer birdsongs and other non-intrusive sounds :shushing_face:

1 Like

I use a Nokia 6300 4g. KaiOS allows me to have email and a simple google maps app in case of any emergency, since I live in a new country with a challenging language. I always carry an Ipad mini with me (work purposes), so if I need something that I would need with a smartphone, I share the internet from my nokia.

I have a basic GPS in the car if needed, and I have a Canon PowerShot for pictures. Quick photos or document scans, I use the iPad.

I don’t miss my iPhone at all. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m in the process of using a Nokia 6700 Classic on the weekends. Basically Friday to Sunday.

2 Likes

I recently came across this article: Why to Choose a Modern, Minimalist Phone Instead of the Old-Fashioned Mobile Phone? I did not write it, but I agree with the message. Do you?

2 Likes

Absolutely. The first mudita pure will be to my girlfriend. Maybe the next one (or perhaps a future generation) will be to me to replace my Nokia, as I wrote above. I know that the price is not competitive, but mudita has unique specifications, and it is a “ground zero” product, so that it will require a bit more effort from the users at this time.

I also see in the mudita desktop app a great potential to explore as a complement to the phone, with more options, specific apps, etc. I’m sure that your team has good plans for it.

PS: Urszula, I’m back again to stay. :smiley:

2 Likes

@roberto WELCOME BACK! I know you missed us :slight_smile: We’re pretty awesome on this forum :wink:

1 Like

My last Blackberry was the 8800, I started on them with Nextel in the late 90’s. I gave up on them when they started having OS problems that made us reload the os and restoring a BU… it got old real fast then. I do miss their keyboards.

1 Like

I had a BB classic until last year. Carrier locked so I only changed to get a cheaper monthly plan with another carrier.

1 Like

I’d be happy to see lots more variety. Mudita, punkt, light phone are hopefully the start of a broader trend of phones that aren’t spyware slates or phones for retirees (big button, emergency pager, simple functions are a different market and an important one that has a different purpose).

Just something that’s not Apple or google please.

1 Like

@rsthree I recently found this interesting phone while browsing the internet- like a mix of Blackberry & Nextel

1 Like

@iota I hate carrier-locked phones. It’s such a crappy thing to do. I believe that this is something that it’s really ONLY done in the US. I haven’t come across a “carrier-locked” phone in Europe, yet.

1 Like

I’ve got a NOKIA 6230i- But only on weekends. I need a smartphone for work.

1 Like

Carrier locking is pretty common in Australia historically, but so is hacking. Telstra were the only vendor stocking BB classic and they had the best coverage where I lived. We just don’t have the same density, choice and population as Europe so it’s understandable.

Also I remember now that the battery was also dying so after seven years I can’t complain too much. I don’t trust the last blackberry key 1,2 though. Lots of spyware apparently.

1 Like

@iota Is there a market for unlocked brand-new phones, without carrier plans or SIM cards? The same way you buy a Mudita Pure?

Yes, definitely. In the last five years a lot of the mvno options has really grown. The trouble is that if you live in remote areas such as in western Australia or the northern territory (which combined are about the same landmass as Europe with a population of 3 million people) the only feasible option for reliable phones is either Telstra or satphone once you leave the capital cities.

But yes, unlocked mobiles are readily available now. A Nokia 220 4g is the entry level at 70 aus dollars. Any new iPhone or Samsung phone is 1500-2500 dollars. 1 AUD is about the same as 0.6 EUR.

Mid range phones are between 200-800 dollars.

For the price of Mudita Pure I would say similarly priced phones might be Motorola edge 7, galaxy a12, or half of an iPhone se 64gb. (cheapest current iPhone which is $690).

I did some research on lightphone 2 and they only work on optus and Vodafone networks here. So basically if Pure works on Telstra as well, there’s not really anything else in the same space here. Punkt mp02 does not seem to be an option.

Actually, circuitmess Ringo is one alternative but again, a very different underlying purpose to your phone. It’s a stem project in a box you can build yourself.

1 Like