Desktop app compatibility with GNU/Linux

Hello :slight_smile: I love this phone so much - thank you for developing it.

I use Trisquel and so am wondering if the desktop app will be compatible and if hotspotting will work ok?

3 Likes

If I am not mistaken, the desktop app is Electron based. So, your distro will run it. Hotspotting shouldn’t be an issue. Trisquel is Ubuntu-derived so it should have access to very up-to-date kernel patches and drivers.

3 Likes

@georgethefrog I have passed your question on to our Desktop App expert @Wojciech_Cichon. He’ll be able to answer your question.

I fully agree with @Bobby_Hiltz :grin:

4 Likes

Thank you @Bobby_Hiltz @Wojciech_Cichon that’s very helpful! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :star_struck:

I’ve done a bit more reading around it and am wondering if the desktop app will be compiled from source or from prebuilt binaries?

1 Like

All Linux based systems will be compatible, or you can make them so: Linux is Linux as the saying goes.
With a big caveat, that is that some distros, such as, Ubuntu or Debian would work out of the box, others such as slackware, void or arch, may require some configuration to work.
Most people (not to get too controversial) should just run Ubuntu. It is the most compatible system around and like I said, Linux is Linux, anyway.
I run a non-graphical version of openbsd, lol.
It is barely compatible with dot matrix printers. But the good thing about openbsd is that the developers are much smarter than me and they know what should and should not be in an OS, so I don’t have to think about it
I install the base system and go. I haven’t installed 1 thing from the repository.
But that’s just my issue, as I said Linux is Linux and if you need some dependencies to make the desktop app work, I am sure the mudita team will explain what needs to be on your system for it to work.

2 Likes

While this may be true have you all tested this on a base installation of arch Linux, or worse void or slackware?
While Linux may technically be compatible, there are a lot of unforseen issues with Linux dependencies.
I would assume that your tech team has made it work with Ubuntu, which is far different from a base installation of arch or some random distro.
To make sure you guys don’t have issues, I would at least provide detail instructions on the major Linux distros such as arch, Ubuntu and perhaps suse.
And perhaps the dependencies required for a manual install.
I had arch once in a base install and couldn’t even get ratpoison to work properly without a lot of dependencies mining.

1 Like

Thanks Kevin,
For Linux the app comes as an AppImage package that after being installed is an Electron app. So if you’re able to run a GUI on your distribution it should all work out-of-the-box.

3 Likes

I started maintaining an AUR package for the Mudita Center Appimage, which can be found at https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mudita-center-appimage/
I’ll put together another package that can build the latest release from source when I get the chance.

3 Likes

Thanks for introducing Mudita into AUR! If you need any help I’m here to help you - I’m also using Arch :wink:

3 Likes

do you have an ARM package by any chance? as i use the pinebook pro that has an ARM cpu

1 Like

I have a Raspberry Pi 4B, If you could let me know which ARM based OS you are using, I’ll try installing it on there, and if successful I’ll put together a guide for you tonight. Since the application is based on Electron, it should be possible to build Appimage, DEB and RPM installation files for ARM64. I’ll let you know how I go.

2 Likes

Manjaro arch based distro on ARM pinebook pro

2 Likes

Manjaro and thanks

2 Likes

At the risk of going too far, I’d be interested to see if I’d be able to do anything cli-wise. That’s how I run my main PC.

3 Likes