BIG ISSUE: Mudita Roams without Notification

The debate around the need for some gadgets is exciting and please allow me to say something about it. Kirk and Jose, thank you for this insightful debate.

I’ve never used group SMS. I’m not sure if it is common in Europe. GPS, I still use the Apple maps. I have installed the Organic Maps, and I intend to use it often. We can use it offline. My future idea is to use the iPhone as a PDA without a sim card. I plan to use Mudita Pure (or the future generations) as a primary phone and share the internet through Bluetooth to the iPhone if I need internet somehow.

You can understand better my position about why I’m still using a smartphone by reading this my post, and we can discuss there if you wish: Mudita Pure: Making the offline online.

The roaming issue I believe that Mudita’s team will fix it quickly. I’m also not sure if this problem affects our fellow Europeans.

PS: I’m glad to have received an email confirmation of my Microsoft & Facebook “delete account.” I only have Instagram for my business page (I use it only through the browser), and I have Telegram for business and personal messenger/groups/channels. I’m still stuck on my google account due to my “smart” tv and youtube playlists, but I believe it is ok for now.

2 Likes

Blockquote I plan to use Mudita Pure (or the future generations) as a primary phone and share the internet through Bluetooth to the iPhone if I need internet somehow.

Mudita does not share internet via Bluetooth, so you won’t be able to do this. I believe it’s a technical limitation, but I am not 100% sure. Maybe @urszula and the team can let us know if this feature is possible or not.

2 Likes

I have different feedbacks here in the forum. It would be great to have a real one this time.

1 Like

THIS :point_up: is EXACTLY wy I loathe group messages.

1 Like

You just click and move on. Group texts on WhatsApp, Telegram, etc are definitely not meant to be for social interaction or meaningful content. The culture has been set for a couple of years for sure.

It depends on the size of the group too though. I have 2-4 people groups that are super meaningful. I’ve found that once you get beyond 4 it just devolves into endless things haha.

1 Like

The latest that I found, @roberto, is at Bluetooth tethering, posted by @urszula. Any updates, Urszula?

2 Likes

When I went to Switzerland last year- I used a Swiss SIM CARD in my Mudita Pure. THe cell network was Lebara & then when we drove from Lugano to Milan, I think I got text message, but I’m not sure about any other notification.

1 Like

@kirkmahoneyphd I believe our dev team member @Bartosz_sp2fet is looking into this. I will see where we are at with this.

2 Likes

Awesome. If it’s possible, it’s going to be very good for dual setups.

1 Like

Hi !
I wonder if you could give me your opinion since you clearly know a lot more than I about technology and I"m also waiting for my Pure phone. I live in San Francisco and do not use a mobile phone nor do I need one much so have been willing to wait for Mudita. Low SARS is important to me and I mostly need the phone for texting my teens and as a phone on a rare traveling trip. I"m willing to wait for improvements but am now worried because it sounds like some of the problem is due to the carriers in the US, not something Mudita can fix.
Sounds like having Mudita in US may not be practical . I want to support Mudita as I like their goals but don’t want to throw away my money and this would be my only phone, not a backup. Any point in waiting longer for my phone in the US ?
Ann

1 Like

What are your needs? If all you need is 1-1 texts with your teens and phone calls with them and other people, you’ll be fine. Get a T-mobile SIM card for the Mudita Pure and you’ll be good. I, personally, don’t enjoy the call quality right now, but it does work, and its serviceable on T-mobile. Texts 1-1 work, so that’s good for your use case.

Plus, the phone will get better and better. So look at it as a long term play instead of short term.

1 Like

Perfect. Yes, my needs are minimal so sounds like this will work. I"ll get the T-mobile SIM card and be patient waiting for improvements . Thank you for you help !
Ann

2 Likes

No problem. I hope you enjoy the device. For your use case, it should be good enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s rough. 3G and 2G bands are getting cut in the US, and (in my experience) the most cost-effective carriers in the US for this type of device are T-Mo MVNOs. Sadly, a number of those rely heavily on the 1700/2100 portion of the spectrum which is just plain missing from these devices.

When we do get something that works (Nokia 225 4G), even then it suffers from reduced bands, and it has glaring issues like the timestamp problem (which I think @Jose_Briones mentioned in his videos). I’ll admit that I restrict myself even further by not loving KaiOS.

At this point I’ll try any device trying to fill the space because they all suffer from compromises. Also my Punkt’s keyboard is dying which is making it almost unuseable.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder about bands!

https://support.mudita.com/support/solutions/articles/77000499049-what-bands-does-pure-support-, if I am reading correctly, says that the Pure supports 4G LTE bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 18, 19, 20, 26, and 28.

For comparison, I checked USA-based T-Mobile MVNO Mint Mobile’s FAQ, which says, “If the phone has bands 2, 4, 12 and 71, then that is ideal.”

Does this mean, @corgan, that the Pure should work in the USA on three of Mint Mobile’s four 4G LTE bands? I ask because I don’t know what your comment about “the 1700/2100 portion of the spectrum” means with respect to this Pure/Mint overlap in three 4G LTE bands (2, 4, and 12). Thanks!

https://powerfulsignal.com/cellular-frequency-bands/

1 Like

B2 (1900) and B4(1700/2100) are the two big ones for MVNOs in my experience–and by and large (maybe just because of where I’ve lived) if you don’t have B4, you’re never getting consistent connectivity.

2 Likes

Thanks! Per this article, B12 (700 MHz) penetrates buildings better than higher-Uplink/Downlink frequencies can:

It is quite well known that wireless signals travel further at lower frequencies. This phenomenon has become particularly important in the context of LTE where a frequency band has been allocated at 700MHz.

So, I am glad that the Pure supports B12, which is available to T-Mobile customers (per the above chart) and to T-Mobile-based MVNO customers such as Mint Mobile customers.

1 Like

Next time you travel to Switzerland, take a Vodafone.nl prepaid simcard with you, the Dutch providers usually include Switzerland in their roaming and it’s much cheaper than local Swiss plans. I live in Switzerland and have been using Dutch simcards for a long time as my main provider for calls and data. I only stopped using my Dutch sim card last year because it’s a bit annoying for my Swiss friends to have to call a Dutch number…

1 Like

That’s true on paper. Whether or not it’s being used is another thing entirely, sadly. But yes, good to see it.

1 Like

For every story where a smartphone did not save a life, but a dumbphone would have, there must be one where it was the other way around. From that, one can not claim that one must be superior over the other. An example: Imagine a situation where you get stuck, can’t move your hands and are unable to reach your phone, but because of voice assistant you can still call for help this way on a smartphone, but not on a dumber phone, because it lacks this feature. Anectodal evidence is not enough to proof that one must be more reliable than the other. One would have to actively go out and compare the two in terms of “life-saver” qualities.
However, I can believe that certain dumb phones, would do better in such a test. Especially, If it’s one of these rugged, water-proof, high quality shell phones from a company with an excellent track record. But if it is one of the cheap KaiOs flip phones, I wouldn’t necessarily trust my life with it. Go to any forum and you’ll find plenty of people complaining about their phone not working. I wonder in which category the Mudita Pure would fall.

5 Likes