A simple writing device/word processor

Thank you! It was that article (The Lure of Geolocation) that convinced me to switch to my in-car GPS-based navigation system, which cannot beam my location to anyone.

1 Like

Yes, please!

Make it distraction free, give it beautiful, minimalist design, a good, quality keyboard, an e-ink screen, load few quality fonts and I’m in!

3 Likes

@Wladyslaw_Foltynski Stay tuned :slight_smile: We have many exciting surprises up our sleeves. :wink:

4 Likes

I don’t use US QWERTY💔

1 Like

I use vi on openbsd with a happy hacking keyboard without xwindows installed.
I personally would never give up my keyboard or vi to use anything else.

1 Like

I am also a vim user, as was my grandmother!
In fact, this thread inspired me to write the following, related contribution: SSH on a feature phone with a hardware keyboard [Done it]

1 Like

Found a device that’s similar to the Freewrite, uses eink display and is foldable in a very clever way. Don’t know if its manufactured anymore, but it’s possible to find new.
https://www.coolthings.com/king-jim-pomera-dm30-digital-typewriter-epaper/

2 Likes

As a Freewrite Traveler owner/user, that was fun to read. I believe that the Freewrite folks built a better product (rechargeable, automatically backs up via Wi-Fi, etc.), but thanks for sharing that article, @John_Andersson!

1 Like

@John_Andersson THIS is such a cool device! I’m going to try & find it. I saw the price was a tad steep at $500 (USD) but It’s definitely a COOL gadget!

@kirkmahoneyphd The size is what’s really interesting!

It seems goodereader has it in stock. On sale for 379 $ atm. Please report back if you get it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you are interested in something like this, I would look into android e-reader tablets such as Boox/Onyx.
Less expensive, bigger, not defunct and does more.

1 Like

Hello,

I’ve been a happy owner of a Pomera DM30 for some time.

However, it had a couple of downsides that blocked me from making it my default note-taking device:.

• The encoding was no UTF-8 ! It was some encoding specific to the Japanese language (Shift JIS). It made for me very uncomfortable to type in any language other than English, because I had to give up on so many letters. (I do not speak Japanese)
  • The screen definition was not enough. I needed large letter size for my tired eyes. At that size the letters looked pixelated. Such a weird feeling for the 21st century…
  • there was a weird bug that made the yen symbol ¥ appear instead of the backslash symbol \ . Maybe most people don’t care, but for me this was a real dealbreaker. It made it impossible for me to easily type and proofread LaTeX code.

The things I loved about it:

• it fit into my coat’s pocket, making it superfluous to go around with a computer in my backpack
  • the look is just so classy
  • it seemed very solid, I never broke any hardware piece in it, inspite of carrying it often in the pocket of my coat
  • you could use AA alcaline batteries for it - the kind of battery that you can easily buy on the go (at least, in a city in a developed country).
  • distraction-free and works under sunlight

I would not advice a Pomera DM30 though if you write in languages other than English and Japanese. I would not advice it neither if you plan to write and review computer code on the go on such device.

I’ve heard that another model from the same brand, the Pomera DM200, does support UTF8.

But I have not tried it myself… If anybody has feedback on that, I will be interested.

2 Likes

This is coming out too, if you prefer handwriting: https://uk.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-elipsa?utm_source=kobo&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=kobo_elipsa_preorder

Use the Kobo Stylus to make notes in eBooks and PDFs*. Plus, you can create your own notebooks, where you can instantly convert your notes to clean typed text, and export them off your device as needed

1 Like

What id like to see is a minanqlist eink tablet from Mudita? Sorta like the pinenote but better styled https://www.pine64.org/pinenote/

1 Like

@jameshjacksonjr This is really great, but how much is it? I can’t see what the price is.

399.99 is the price of it

1 Like

@jameshjacksonjr That’s not too bad. Unfortunately, it’s only available for developers. But definitely an interesting option

1m

it will be avail for regular end users soon its developewrs only cause they are working on getting the linux OSes ready for it i use their laptop the pinebook pro a 220 dollar laptop that can run many diff linux distros on it im a fan of their products ill be getting a pinenote soon as its available.

1 Like

@kirkmahoneyphd I saw this article & it made me think of you :

1 Like