A day with the Mudita Pure

Finally my Mudita Pure arrived today. Here a generic list of what happened/a very short review:

• The initial setup was pretty much flawless: my operator is based in Italy (under Vodafone) and it worked without having to do anything fancy;
  • I installed the Mudita Center on my pc and updated the OS;
  • I tried to import the .vcf i exported with Protonmail, unsuccessfully, and had to insert manually my contact list;
  • I made some phone calls and, personally, didn’t have any problem with the audio. Maybe not the most perfect possible but my voice was very clear and I could hear very clearly the other person (tested also with call longer than 5-10 minutes). The only downside is maybe that after 10 minutes the phone was getting a bit warm;
  • I successfully imported some music and listened to it;
  • The messages were working both via the Mudita center and via the device;
  • I really like the three modes so I can silence my phone without losing call of people under favourites in my contact list;
  • The only think I did not test was the tethering, will try it tomorrow.

Of course there’s a small set of features, but that’s what I expected. At the moment I’m pretty happy, will use it as my main device in the following week and probably update this post

3 Likes

^ THAT is worrying.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I don’t know, it’s something that happened to me with many other models (Huawei, Samsung and Honor for sure). Will check if it’s something constant

2 Likes

^ SMS, MMS, or both?

1 Like

Never sent an MMS in my life :slight_smile: so only SMS

2 Likes

@kirkmahoneyphd I’m reporting this to the devs. I know they are working on battery fixes in the update scheduled for next month. After all the fixes are implemented, the battery life should be improved significantly.

1 Like

@gabrielesani Thank you so much for taking the time to write the review. We’re glad that everything is working out for you. I’ve reported the issue with the phone getting slightly warm to the devs. That should be eliminated with the upcoming battery fixes.

2 Likes

Using the device I’m noticing a couple of minor thing that could be improved, should I write them here or directly on github?

1 Like

@gabrielesani You can actually do both. Our devs will definitely see the github feedback, but it might be nice to share with the community what you think should be improved.

Ok, I will write here:

• The fields for the contacts in the Mudita Center software are less than the one actually showed on the phone. It would be great to be able to edit email and notes from the Mudita Center;
  • There are some important character missing from the phone: the two I noticed the most are @ and - (I don’t know if i’m missing anything but cycling with the button 1 I don’t see them)
1 Like

@gabrielesani Regarding the special characters- you can access special characters as well as some simple emojis by pressing the * button for 2-3 seconds when you’re typing messages.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot! Didn’t notice that :smiley:

1 Like

@urszula I’m finding difficult to use the usb tethering: I tried with Windows 10 and I’m having general issues. It’s the first time I’m using the USB tethering so maybe I’m missing something very obvious. Is there a guide or something on how to use it?

1 Like

@gabrielesani Tethering on Windows 10 should work fine. We were having some issues with Windows 11 & had to tweak some things. When something like this happens, our devs always ask that you transmit logs to Mudita via Mudita Center. This way they can recreate the issue & suggest a solution. In the mean time I will ask if there are any reported issues with Tethering to Windows 10.

My Fairphone 2 gets scorching-hot when I do anything CPU-intensive, and gets noticeably warm when I try to make a call or use it as a WiFi hotspot, especially when the network-coverage is poor. My Nokia 3310 used to warm up a little on long calls.

I suspect this is therefore normal and technically-unavoidable, providing the phone does not warm significantly. Optimisations for low CPU-usage, and other battery-life optimisations, might improve this a bit.

3 Likes

I connected my mudita to windows 10 and, enabling the tethering, I didn’t see any interface in the connection list. Checking into the device manager I saw a list of “EG25-G” unrecognized. So after a bit of googling I found a driver that should work for this EG25-G, and now in the adapter options, I see the ethernet one and a Cellular one that appear and disappears. I suppose that is the mudita tethering interface? I don’t know if the issue is the settings I inserted in the APN section of the phone, because instead on linux I can see the interface but I can’t connect to the internet.
This being said I suppose it should work out of the box in Windows, so maybe I’m doing something wrong? The mudita center is already enabled in sending the logs, if I can help doing a more comprensive report let me know

1 Like

@gabrielesani Thanks for this expanded explanation. I’m getting out devs on this.
I’m not sure if I mentioned it before or not, it helps when you transmit your logs to Mudita vis Mudita Center. This helps them recreate the issues & create a solution.

1 Like