What’s your home tech setup?

My one and only computer (a laptop bought in 2018) is on its way out. I’ve been on it non-stop since working from home the last year+. While I’m fairly proficient in Windows OS, I’m not to up on what all the hardware/graphic specification mean. I’ve gone to Best Buy 3 times now to look around for a replacement and I feel like every associate tries to up sell me on what to purchase. “You have to have xyz”… “Touchscreen is the only way to go.” The amount of choices makes my head spin to be honest :dizzy: :exploding_head:. I have been trying to take a moment to actually figure out what I need… similar to going from the mindset of “I have to have a smart phone.” to “I just purchased a Mudita Pure basic phone.” but with computers. This also comes at a time where my job is ceasing WFH, so this next purchase will be just for personal use.

Curious to know how others setup their personal tech. Do you have a laptop and feel it’s a necessity? Do you have a desktop so as to try to minimize your time when you are on it? Does anyone feel the need to have more than one device… such as a desktop and a tablet? Do you find that having the appropriate device for the task at hand helps you not get distracted by other things (ie. If you just have to go online to pay a bill, you can do that fairly quickly on a tablet and then shut it down. If you have to go into another room, turn on the desktop, login and then go to the site, you may end up spending more time at the desk then originally intended because you went through that whole process.) Do you only have a smart phone and find no use for another device? They say that “If you don’t want to eat junk food, don’t keep any in the house.” I would think this also applies to technology; If it’s not there, you won’t use it.

Would love to hear how other individuals who are trying to live life intentionally/mindfully (however that looks for you) use technology in their homes for personal use. It would be interesting to see what people can live without and what others have to have. Has your tech setup changed over the years, if so how and why? Was it for the better?

As I try to figure out what my ideal setup would be, hoping this thread can spark some creative setup options and ideas about what is essential in tech moving into 2022.

3 Likes

I use a pinebook pro as my one and inly computer https://www.pine64.org/pinebook-pro/ its only 220 USD it runs linux though but does everything i need ive been a day 1 linux user sence it came out in the 90s.

3 Likes

We have only a desktop computer that I am thinking of putting on a standing desk, to further reduce our time spent on it. But my 7yo daughter is also using it here and there for school (Teams during lockdown) and fun, which complicates the standing desk idea a bit… I turned the wireless router off, so only wired connections in the apartment (including Chromecast).

1 Like

Thanks for the response. Never used linux. I’ll check the site!

1 Like

I’ve seen some really nice bar stools (tall) with backs that might work for your daughter if you decide to go that route. Do you find that just the one computer in a specific area helps to control the urge to just browse/surf?

1 Like

I have a Lenovo laptop that’s about 8 years old now, still works well. I run Win8.1 on it because I need to for Photoshop - yes, I still use my pre-creative cloud purchased copy from a decade ago! If Linux had good, professional-level and print-friendly Adobe alternatives, I would be 100% Linux by now. Alas, they don’t really exist.

I also have an HP netbook that does run Linux (Elementary OS, specifically). It is also a bit on the old side, but still runs perfectly too. I will probably be perpetuating this type of set-up indefinitely, though my next Windows machine will definitely only exist for art and not much else.

3 Likes

Hey, I also run Elementary OS! :slight_smile: I still have Windows 10 installed as a secondary OS, but I rarely use it.

2 Likes

How? :thinking: Mine only seem to last 2 maybe 3 years.

1 Like

I’m still debating on a whether to get a desktop, laptop, or tablet. Really trying to be intentional with what I purchase. Everyone has given me some ideas.

What completely surprised me was, except for @roxx, many users seem to actually have more than one device at home. I was not expecting that!

Thanks for all the posts!

2 Likes

When it’s time to replace my desktop, I will be getting an All-in-one desktop or a Mac. I hate all the cables and noise my current one produces. But I need a big screen.

Go for a desktop on a standing table (maybe even in a closet/cupborad). Can’t get more intentional than that :slight_smile:

2 Likes
  • 1 family iMac
  • 3 individual Windows Laptops
  • 1 NAS/media server
  • 1 DLNA radio
  • No smart devices from Google/Amazon/Apple
1 Like

Thinkpad P50. It’s about six years old but it’s running fine still. I am planning on getting a P52s as a backup because my degree path requires lots of computational power. The nice thing about the P series by Thinkpad is that they are assembled in North Carolina which is at least a slight step up from fully made in china. They are also very easy to fix and parts are cheap and available. They are more of a “workstation” than an actual laptop and have lots of power but are heavy. My partner has a generic windows laptop, an older Iphone and I sport a Punkt. MP02. I use Ubuntu and Windows.

2 Likes

^ Good to know!

1 Like

^ Fantastic! Given the needs of others, I’m down to two units – both muted (Are they truly, however? I do not know.) except when engaging them (typically for weather forecast, sunrise time, or sunset time).

1 Like

^ Do you know anyone who runs Quicken (or other Windows programs) in a Windows emulator on Linux?

1 Like

Keep it clean! And never, ever, update the OS lmao. (No, really.)
I use PC Cleaner to keep mine running well, and am mighty familiar with chdsk whenever I feel my harddrive isn’t running as well as it should. I’ve also long since disabled the touchscreen option, and use separate peripherals whenever possible, including a mouse and keyboard. It also depends on the brand - Lenovo just makes really great laptops in my experience.

1 Like

@anon59201358 Thinkpad never crossed my mind. I’m not familiar with the brand. I’m assuming they have several product lines of devices (general user :arrow_right: gamers). I’ll check them out. Thanks for the post!

1 Like

I would say that the user base is professionals and those who need large amounts of computational power in a “portable” form (it weighs 2600 grams without the charger brick or spare batteries).

1 Like

@boneblack Is this just to help lessen the wear from physical contact? Or is there another reason? Were you noticing any negative effects when you had it on? Does battery life get affected?

I was originally leaning to NOT get a touchscreen but it seems like the industry says that you should. I’m sure it just comes down to personal preference.

1 Like

Nothing in particular other than a vague recollection of it being annoying when I accidentally touched the screen! My general tech philosophy is to limit points of failure (ie disable or physically remove features I do not use), and to spread the risk of damage or corruption out among as many cheaper, more modular pieces of hardware as I can. (And of course, learn as much as I can about what it is that I’m using and how it works. If I can’t at least troubleshoot something myself, or fix something troubleshot by someone else, then it’s a liability for me to use it and I try to find alternatives.)

1 Like