Why Sustainability Matters

Why Sustainability Matters

Every time we make a purchase, we have the power to use your money to make a statement. We can either choose to maintain the status quo or direct the world toward a better future.

The world has gotten so used to cheap, mass-produced products, which not only harm the people taking part in the production, but also damage our environment, that sometimes we don’t realize what the true cost of a product really is. Here at Mudita, we are passionate not only about living in harmony with nature and its creatures, but also living in harmony with our society, by contributing to fair trade practices at every step of our existence.

Today, we added more products to our store, which are in line with our company’s philosophy. You can read more about our Togetherness Collection on our blog.

Whether environmental, economic or social sustainability, how is the pursuit of a more sustainable lifestyle reflected in your purchases?

2 Likes

Regarding this topic, what’s Mudita statement on Right to Repair?
Any guesses about what could be the iFixIt Repairability Score of Mudita Pure?
Some resources:
https://www.ifixit.com/Right-to-Repair
https://www.fsf.org/campaigns/fight-to-repair

2 Likes

@anon50734617 Thank you for bringing up this topic. It’s very important from the point of sustainability. Mudita supports the Right-to-Repair movement. We want Mudita Pure to be a long lasting phone, so we decided to make it easily repairable. Recently, the European Commission ratified a new regulation called ‘right to repair’, which is going to be implemented in 2021 and requires that companies design longer-lasting products. We believe that our products should be easily fixed using spare parts.

2 Likes

Will spare parts be available in the Store?

2 Likes

@john_dumpling We are planning on having extra batteries available. We’re still debating about parts.

4 Likes

I came across this article over the weekend & I thought to myself- THIS CAN’T POSSIBLY BE REAL.
"The iPhone 13’s screen cannot be replaced without special software controlled by Apple."
When companies pull stunts like this, it really turns me off from ANY of their products because it turns a phone from a useful tool & a utility, to nothing more than a pricey toy that needs to be handled with the utmost of care. This is why I love the fact that Mudita supports the right to repair & wants to make product repairs as easy & accessible to everyone.

1 Like

Thank you, Mudita! I once bought a replacement battery for a cellphone but returned it for a refund after discovering that I would have to use a heat gun to remove the back of the cellphone – because the manufacturer glued the back to the cellphone!

1 Like

I would really love it if you also offered e.g. replacement screens (since the topic of screens popped up in this thread) and other components that can break over time. I’m not sure how the tech evolved, but I vaguely remember E-Ink screens having a limited number of refresh cycles, for example.
Also a screen can break due to a drop of course.

I also think people like to replace speakers on old electronics (recently did that to a GameBoy) since those can get worse with the years, especially if dirt comes in through the sound openings.

This also makes me wonder: will Mudita Control center (or what the desktop app is called) allow to fully back-up the device e.g. in case of replacing it due to irreparable damage or loss?

1 Like

@unixb0y I know we will be offering replacement batteries, however, I will ask about other parts. Our mission, from the beginning, has been to make Mudita Pure as easily repairable as possible.

2 Likes

@unixb0y To answer your question about backing up- You will be able to FULLY back up your device in Mudita Center.

3 Likes

Thanks, that’s great!

1 Like