Mental Health Resources

What are some of your favourite mental health resources, podcasts, videos, books etc.?
What helps you feel better when you’re feeling down?

1 Like

Listening to birdsong outside.

1 Like

That’s a really lovely one. I like listening to the birds too!

I have several resources to cheer me up on dull days:

1. Podcasts:
    “The Hilarious World of Depression” - Interviews with comedians discussing their experiences with mental health.
    “The Mental Illness Happy Hour” - Conversations about mental health, trauma, and recovery.
    “The Savvy Psychologist’s Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Mental Health” - Practical tips and advice for improving mental well-being.
  2. Videos:
    TED Talks - Many TED Talks address mental health, such as “The Art of Asking” by Amanda Palmer or “Depression, the Secret We Share” by Andrew Solomon.
    School of Life - YouTube channel offering insightful videos on various topics, including mental health and emotional well-being.
  3. Books:
    “Lost Connections: Uncovering the Real Causes of Depression – and the Unexpected Solutions” by Johann Hari.
    “The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma” by Bessel van der Kolk.
    “The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook” by Edmund J. Bourne.
  4. Therapies:
    Exposure therapy NYC
    Meditation
    Jogging
1 Like

Despite its peculiar name, I discovered that this book is a valuable resource for addressing the unintentional “flooding” we often experience in our lives.

2 Likes

I’ve recently been engaging in equine therapy sessions - basically I go and spend a mindful hour completely present with a horse, or four! I listen, learn and interact intimately with the horses.
Today I worked with a large male horse (17 hands) called Noddy - he’s amazingly calm, patient and likes to fall asleep in my arms (we’ve had previous sessions together).
One of the most meaningful things for me is that we are in a paddock together, the horses can come and go as they please - Noddy has been in my last 3 sessions and has spent almost the whole time next to me - by his own choice! I love that a horse would choose to be around me - it makes me feel loved and safe and calm. Haaaaaaaaa (huge sigh of relaxation) :smile: :heart:

2 Likes

@galtions I absolutely love hearing about your equine therapy sessions - what a grounding experience! Noddy sounds like an absolute sweetheart, and it’s clear that he enjoys your company as much as you do his.

You know, your experience got me thinking about other animal-based therapies. Like dolphin therapy🐬 People get into the water and interact with dolphins - playing, swimming, even getting dolphin “kisses.” Advocates say it can reduce stress, improve mood, and increase motivation.

And then there’s therapy with dogs :dog:. They can sense our emotions and provide comfort when we need it most. Therapy dogs are often used in hospitals, nursing homes, and schools to help reduce stress and anxiety.

:bird: but what I absolutely love is a Japanese practice called “shinrin-yoku” or “forest bathing,” including bird-watching as part of immersing oneself in nature.

Just goes to show, our animal friends have so much to offer us, in so many different ways. Keep enjoying your time with Noddy! :blush::heart::horse:

1 Like

Love it Aleksander! Yes, there are many different animal based therapies - I’m blessed to live amongst a throng of wildlife including abundance of birds. We can learn so much from animals and how they interact with each other.
After writing my response above I had an interaction with a Rosella - a brightly coloured kind of parrot. He had some plastic wrapped around his leg and was caught in a fern. After some squaking, much biting (on his part - not mine!), gentle coaxing and handling, I managed to get the parrot wrapped, cut the plastic off his ankle and freed this little being from his plastic nightmare. Yet another reason to eliminate plastic from the world. I’m happy to report he and his two parents (who were nearby) were all gone when I checked back a few hours later - hopefully to a happy, plastic free life!
I felt so grateful to be able to assist in such a direct and positively impactful manner - and I can certainly say I was VERY mindful and present during this interaction! Thankyou little Rosella :parrot: :heart:

1 Like

When I’m looking for quick mood boosters, I often turn to mindfulness and meditation videos on platforms like YouTube. They can help calm the mind and bring some clarity to those tough moments.

Wow, your equine therapy experience with Noddy sounds truly transformative! It’s amazing how these majestic creatures have an innate ability to connect and bring a sense of calm. The fact that Noddy chooses to be around you speaks volumes about the bond you’ve formed.

BTW, have you ever considered enhancing your moments of relaxation with better delta spectrum gummies? Some folks find they add an extra layer of tranquility to mindfulness practices. Just a thought for those serene sessions.

Wow, your equine therapy experience with Noddy sounds truly transformative! It’s amazing how these majestic creatures have an innate ability to connect and bring a sense of calm. The fact that Noddy chooses to be around you speaks volumes about the bond you’ve formed.

BTW, have you ever considered enhancing your moments of relaxation with better delta spectrum gummies? Some folks find they add an extra layer of tranquility to mindfulness practices. Just a thought for those serene sessions.